Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to BF without supplementing with IGT?

Default How to BF without supplementing with IGT?

My baby will be 5 months on Monday. I figured out i had IGT after not producing enough milk with my last 2 boys and the way my breasts are shaped. With my now 3d baby boy i was able to BF the 1st 3 months with out supplementing but he would cry alot and i would get no sleep. I must of been making enough milk because he was/is gaining weight. Couldn't take the sleepless nights so i started supplementing at least 1-3 times a day and BF. But my milk started to dry up and my AF was starting to show up. I quickly stopped supplementing and what was about to become AF went away. Now that I'm no longer supplementing i feel the need to at least supplement once because he doesn't get full and i don't make much milk regardless of the Mothers Milk Tea and fenugreek i take. I believe i can stop supplementing once he's 6 months old, he'll be starting solids and can be BF with out him feeling non satisfied. Any advice?
    Is there anyone here with IGT? What are you doing to successfully BF?

Default Re: How to BF without supplementing with IGT?

I was just going to post about igt...hypoplasia...which I have, wondering about others who have grown their supply with additional pregnancies and nursing. I'm on my first baby and am starting to think about another and wanted to know some details. Anyway, I make about 14oz a day and I have a donor mom who helps with the rest. I supplement only after noon with an sns in the amount of 3 oz a feeding about 4 times. I do bf inbetween those feedings to keep my boobs guessing and continue to remove milk so my body produces more than it would without it (I was pumping and tried two strategies to see if more aggressive removal schedules helped output and it did by 2 oz a day).

A few things I would suggest that have helped me majorly...try mother love mote milk plus...they advertise on here...its a Lot better than funegreek alone...

Also, do more mini feeds...with low supply, let downs need to be more often to drain the breast fully, with igt boobs they often feel empty already... but what I have found is that I get more milk removal if I feed my son and then stick him back on 15 minutes layer briefly. Long letdowns issue forth like they're full again. Breast massage during letdowns also increases the output. Aggressive massaging, like milking an udder massaging, really gets the very last drops out...drops count a lot if you are on the low side of supplies...like me.

Switch back and forth several times each feed before you supplement, this really improved my supply as supplementing...especially when it was with formula which is very filling -really started decreasing my output. And focus on the minimum of supplementation...at each feed keep it a small amount which can mean breaking the supplement into more feedings or doing more feedings using a supplement. I was filling my son up with too much at each feed and he wanted to go 4 hours without eating again...supply killer!

I had a few questions for u since you have had multiple babies now...did you ever nurse into a pregnancy and if so, did u notice a drop in supply?

Did your supply increase with each child? Did you ever pump to measure to verify?
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

Default Re: How to BF without supplementing with IGT?

Both my boys were preemies and i only pumped 2 months for each one. They would not latch. I have never nursed till now that i had a full term baby. I remember making plenty of milk with my 1st. I would make 5 oz each breast then the second month 6 1/2 oz each breast. I stopped pumping because my son did not like my breast milk. Then with my second i pretty much made under 5oz with both breasts, after 2 months of pumping i gave up. With this baby i haven't pumped so I'm not sure how much i make I do notice that i make a good amount of milk because he no longer cries but if i am overly stressed (which tends to happen a lot since i have my hands full) my milk supply decreases. I'm working on increasing it again.