Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful blisters causing mastitis

Default Painful blisters causing mastitis

I am getting a painful blister (looks like an ulcer with a flat, white center) from my 18 month old. I'm not sure if his teeth are rubbing on my nipple or it's his latch, but it hurts like crazy. It eventually scabs over and heals, but I almost always get mastitis from it. This is my 16th time dealing with mastitis and I'm getting discouraged. I don't want to quit nursing until he's ready, but I am tired of getting sick. Anyone have any advice?

Default Re: Painful blisters causing mastitis

Getting mastitis that frequently is unusual. Was it really full-blown mastitis each time, with symptoms of pain, fever, red streaks/patches on the exterior of the breast, aches and pains, and malaise? Or did you have some episodes that were more along the lines of a bad plugged duct? Have you taken antibiotics each time, and if so, what kind(s)? Has anyone ever done a culture to figure out what sort of bacteria are at work?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have always taken amoxicillin, and most of the time I can tell its coming because I get a headache and feel yucky. I always get the redness and warmth/hardness in my breast as well. This time I haven't gotten a fever yet, but the pain/redness started last night. My doctor has never mentioned culturing my milk, I would just like the mastitis to stop. I never had it this bad with my other kids.

If you've consistently taken the same antibiotic, then I think it's a good bet that it's not working. Often what happens is that the antibiotic will knock back the vulnerable bacteria, and you'll feel better for a while. But a certain percentage of the bacteria are resistant to the antibiotic and start growing again, and after a while... Mastitis! All over again! And if you take the same antibiotic again, it's going to be even less effective than the first time you used it, because most of the bacterial population will be descended from ancestors that were resistant to the antibiotic the first time you took it. Microbial evolution in action.

I would demand a bacterial culture and discuss treatment options (i.e. different antibiotics).

Are you practicing good self-care? Frequent nursing on the affected side, pumping if nursing isn't doing a good job of emptying the breast, warm water soaks, massage (an electric toothbrush is a good option for massage)?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"