Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diminishing supply - early start to self-weaning :(

Red face Diminishing supply - early start to self-weaning :(

Hello everyone!!!

I have not been on here in a while but I feel like I need to reach out to some other mommas.

My daughter is 31 months old and we are still nursing... Yeah!!!

I had a rough start with nursing and have developed a pumping habit. I currently nurse my daughter when she wakes, before nap, before dinner and before bed. I still try to pump after 2-3 of those nursing sessions.

I had built up a large supply in my freezer that I was slowly using. At first I would give my daughter a full bag with every meal, then I cut it to 2 and now I only give her 1 bag of breast milk from the freezer once a day. I still have not given her any cows milk in a cup but she loves yogurt, cheese and ice cream.

My dilemma now is... At times, pumping gets in the way of enjoying life. Yet, even though we are this far along and I pump less than a 1/2 oz from both breasts at each session now...I still feel selfish and wrong to stop. I also feel like if I stop it will end our nursing relationship since I feel that the extra stimulation helps when my daughter does not nurse so well... or at least it has for the past 2 1/2 years.

I have already met all my nursing goals...first 3 months, then 6 months, then 1 year and finally 2 years. But, I love nursing my daughter so much that it is so hard for me to think of when it might end. At this point, she has yet to have a cold, stomach bug...anything... and I am sooo proud of that.

I tried to give my daughter almond milk once and she would not touch it. But, as my supply in the freezer diminishes I feel like I should start her on something. I do buy milk without any growth hormones but for some reason I HATE the thought of giving it to her even though I want to make sure she is getting enough calcium.

I should also mention that I actually took Fenugreek until a few months ago when I felt like it was time to stop. No change to my supply took place then.

Sometimes I feel like I should pump more, buy more supplements...etc. to try to get more supply back. And then I also think that I should just let nature take its course and just enjoy my kiddo and the extra time I would have to play with her if she does stop. Even though I would miss the snuggles

Any words of advice.

Jaime
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

Default Re: Diminishing supply - early start to self-weaning :(

31 months is amazing!

Don't forget that your baby is still nursing. Those morning, nap and bed time sessions can easily continue for a long time to come.

We as Mother's need to learn to forgive ourselves. There is nothing wrong with stopping pumping at this point if it is what you want to do. She's still nursing! And your body will adjust to the change.

For myself, I had to forgive the early weaning of my girls. I was pregnant each time and my supply disappeared. We nursed as long as I could still offer. Yes, it was physically impossible for me to continue nursing them and it was for a good reason, their sisters! However it still weighed heavily on me. I had to forgive myself. I wasn't doing something bad to them. I had done something wonderful for them. Hold on to that.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

mama, at 31 months, you have permission to stop pumping!! go do fun things with your 3.5 year old keep nursing as much as you want.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

31 months is 2 and a half. But I still totally agree with auderey! Time to put the pump out to pasture!

(doh)
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you for all of the responses!

Still not sure what to do about the cow's milk. I only have a few bags of bm left in the freezer. I do not think she drinks much from me anymore and I do not want her to lack calcium. Any suggestions? (She does eat cheese and yogurt)

I do buy the milk without growth hormones...but, still wish I could just keep giving her breast milk
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

You will still be nursing her so you may not even need to worry about milk, but you could offer a small amount of it at dinner and see how she does? If you are concerned about calcium specifically, there are a lot of foods high in calcium that aren't dairy and are actually more easily absorbed than cow's milk anyway, like green leafy vegetables, broccoli, almonds, some fish.
    http://suite101.com/article/non-dair...3#.UWXBfrWyCQs
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!