Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I get my breast milk back?

Default How do I get my breast milk back?

My daughter refused to breastfeed about 2.5 months ago. I would like to start again but I don't know how. Is this possible with all or most women? How do I get started?
    Thanks, Mindi

Default Re: How do I get my breast milk back?

Restarting breastfeeding is possible for many moms and babies, but not all. A lot depends on your baby's willingness to take the breast, which some babies are happy to do and some... Not so much.

This link on nursing strikes covers the basics of getting a weaned baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

How old is your baby? And have you been maintaining supply with pumping or hand expression during the last 2.5 months?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: How do I get my breast milk back?

It is certainly possible to relactate or induce lactation. Even adoptive mothers who have never given birth have been able to produce breastmilk for their babies.
    And it is possible to bring a child to (or back to) the breast, even after many months, this is done quite a bit.

It is also possible to bring a child to the breast and nurse even when a mother makes little or no milk, using a lactation aid.

Is it possible for MOST women to relactate? Theoretically, it should be. Biologically, it makes sense that most women can produce milk, even long after giving birth or without pregnancy and birth. But there certainly are no studies showing some percentage that that I am aware of. Same with brining baby back to the breast.

It would help us to point you to the info you need if we just had a little more information about your situation.