Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: !@&#*^@# airport lost my pumped milk!!!!

Default !@&#*^@# airport lost my pumped milk!!!!

I had 40 oz of frozen breastmilk in a checked bag, coming home from a family holiday home to visit my parents. This was milk I had carefully pumped while away to donate to a milk bank. Normally when I am traveling with milk I bring it carry-on, but this time around I checked it. We arrive home, and out of five bags, the one they mishandled was the one with my milk. It's arriving tonight at 8pm on a later flight, but I think the chances it is still frozen are pretty tiny. Not sure what to do with it, since DD2 isn't drinking pumped milk yet, certainly not in those quantities (though I do go back to work on Monday).

One thought I've had is to make breastmilk yogurt with it and feed it to DD2 over the next few weeks. Anyone know if you can make yogurt from thawed breastmilk? I know you can do it from fresh, just not sure if freezing kills any of the things the yogurt cultures need to do their thing. Is it just the same as making it with cows milk?

Default Re: !@&#*^@# airport lost my pumped milk!!!!

oh no!!!!!!!!! what a disaster.

if it's still slushy it can be refrozen. crossing my fingers for that.

dunno about yogurt.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Oh, what a travesty! Major at the airport. And big hugs to you, mama. I am SO sorry!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

False alarm on the thawed milk. DH just came home from the airport with the bag, and it is all STILL FROZEN SOLID after 10 hours in transit. Yippeee!!!

Awesome!!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Actually on closer examination it looks like there might have been a tiny amount of thawing/refreezing in transit, but definitely not all the way. I'll ask the milk bank if they have concerns about it, but if they do, I'll just keep it for DD2 and swap it for milk that I pump at work.

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

What a relief!!! If the milk bank doesn't want it, I'd still use it (put it in the freezer). I'd just move it to the front to use first.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

What a cautionary tale ... I'll be remembering this if/when I do any air travel and I'll take my milk carry-on! So glad it arrived mostly still frozen. (I once had a 4 oz container that didn't make it into my donation cooler for my trip to the milk bank - I came home to find it sitting warm on the counter and was so disappointed that it was wasted. If I lost 40 ounces I think I would just cry.)

I'm honestly not sure what I would do the next time. In the end, I got my milk in time - the milk bank even said it would accept it since it was still partially frozen when it arrived. Clearly being in the cold cargo hold went a long way to keeping it cold. The milk bank said they'd actually had milk that took three days to get to them (by bus) and was still acceptable when it got there (presumably in the wintertime). But it was definitely stressful!