Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sudden green stool in 9 week old???

Default sudden green stool in 9 week old???

So my daughter had consistent yellow stools since birth. in fact in the last couple of weeks she had finally stopped pooping at every feeding. now all of a sudden, she has explosive green poop right in the middle of most nursing sessions. we also have some really bad gassiness in the evenings (which i understand evening fussiness is normal, she is our 5th, lol)..... but this is weird. i did have a substantial oversupply (and overactive letdown still, which I do attribute some of the gassiness to. she comfort/ cluster nurses in the evenings and sometimes gulps milk).... her weight gain has been normal, at least at the last check at 6 weeks. i hope this trend is continuing...she is mostly happy and meeting all her milestones.

ETA: my son had a dairy allergy that he just outgrew at age 2. i had to eliminate dairy products and I am hoping to not have to go that road again!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Default Re: sudden green stool in 9 week old???

Congrats on number 5! I was one of five kids and loved it. Never a dull moment!

Has baby started taking more time between nursing sessions? That can increase forceful letdown, which is the part of the overproduction scenario that gives baby explosive green poops. IN that case, working on the forceful letdown part of things by nursing more often, nursing in a reclined position, that kind of thing, (kellymom has a nice article on this) may help. Certainly I would work on that before cutting dairy, which is far more rare an issue.

well, she hasn't been nursing less, except that after her cluster feeding session of 2-3 hours, she has been sleeping a long stretch. i do nurse in a reclined position when possible (def during those two to three hours in the evening!) the only thing i can think of, is she has not been popping off at let down, but rather gulping it more often. normally i spray into a towel or something. i thought this was an indication of her handling the let down better but maybe not? as far as the dairy issue, i was only concerned because my son has it and i was thinking it could be a family issue (all the other kids have really bad eczema).....but with my son, he was always fussy and it was a problem far before 9 weeks. plus he actually never had green poop, lol! just constant crying that resolved when I took out dairy. i wasn't 100% sure it wasn't just your garden variety colic until he started solids and would break out in hives every time he had anything with milk protein in it.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

something just occurred to me- I have been switching sides more often because my OS has not seemed as bad (less engorgement, fullness, etc.) I wonder if that is contributing.....

I am having thr same problem with my 9 week old! The doctor said that since we (the family) had had the flu 2 weeks prior to when the green poop started it was the flu and thinks she has temporary lactose intolerance. She insists that I give her soy formula (which I have) because then it will give her time to build up lactase in her system. I am starting to think that I was switching sides too often overfeeding because hse had a sniffle.....and she was getting too much foremilk. Her poop is "normal" now, well as normal as formula poop can be! Anyhow, I broke down and nursed her today and her poop was green again but still pasty. The doc was concerned because baby girl started at 66% and at last check she was 33%. This concerns me as well however I am not giving up on nursing. I think I have a pretty abundant supply of milk so maybe taking a break (with pumping of course) will decrease my supply and fix the problem anyhow?? My feezer is fillling up with milk quick!

Have you tried block feeding? I think I'll try that. Ie. only feed from one breast for a "block" of time. Lets say from 9-11 only feed from right breast if baby seems hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*coffey1120 View Post
    I am having thr same problem with my 9 week old! The doctor said that since we (the family) had had the flu 2 weeks prior to when the green poop started it was the flu and thinks she has temporary lactose intolerance. She insists that I give her soy formula (which I have) because then it will give her time to build up lactase in her system.
    It's 7 a.m. and I think we already have today's winner in the category of "Bad Medical Advice"! There is absolutely ZERO need to wean from the breast, even temporarily, when the problem is just green poops. If the problem is in fact temporary lactose intolerance due to a bout of the flu, the baby's lactase production will rebound whether you give formula or nurse. So why not nurse?

Some questions for you:
    - Can you post a complete weight history for baby, including birth weight, lowest weight, and weight at each checkup?
    - Has baby always been weighed on the same scale, in the nude?
    - Did you receive IV fluids during birth?
    - How many times a day does baby nurse (on average)?
    - What were baby's poops like initially? Did you see typical yellow poops, or have they been green right along?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"