Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing supply as baby grows

Default Increasing supply as baby grows

As my baby grows/goes through a growth spurt, will my milk supply increase as needed?

I feel like this should be common sense but I think I'm worrying myself to death!

Default Re: Increasing supply as baby grows

Yes, if you feed on demand, when baby grows through a growth spurt, he/she will nurse for longer and/or more frequently to up your supply. And when the growth spurt is done, baby will go back to the previous routine. It's all supply and demand. Follow baby's cues and nurse on demand.

Agree with pp.
    Did you have any particular reason to be concerned about if you are making enough milk/baby is getting enough?

No particular reason. She's wetting and pooping as she is supposed to and she's also gaining weight well according to the pediatrician but I just want to make sure.

I guess the real question is, if she is extra hungry (growth spurt or what have you) will my breasts increase supply for the demand after a while?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ngarcia View Post
    I guess the real question is, if she is extra hungry (growth spurt or what have you) will my breasts increase supply for the demand after a while?
    Yes. If she is extra hungry, she will feed more often and will drain the breast more completely each time. Those two cues (frequency of stimulation and amount of milk the baby takes) will cue your body to make more milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"