Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful Nursing

Default Painful Nursing

For the past week now, every time DS nurses I experience horrible pain that stems from my nipple and back in my breast. While nursing, it feels like DS is pulling my breast off and after nursing and pumping, I experience sharp shooting pain in my nipple, breast, down my arm and my shoulder. The pain is so intense that I cry at times and now it is getting to the point that I do not want to nurse. I know that he is tongue tied and I am seeing his doctor for that in a couple of weeks to see if that is the cause. But I don't know if I can last until then. I need help in getting rid of the pain now. I don't know how long I can last.

Default Re: Painful Nursing

You may have thrush (yeast) on the nipples. Check out this article from LLL: http://www.llli.org/faq/thrush.html. Look in baby's mouth to see if there are any white spots, b/c if you have thrush he probably does too.

Another possibility is vasospasms. Check out this description from kellymom.com: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/. This could be a possibility due to the poor latch DS probably has b/c of the TT. Is there any way you could move up the Dr appt and get seen ASAP? My LO had a TT that caused terrible cracks, vasospasm, and ultimately yeast on my nipples. I was able to get in the same day I contacted the Dr who specialized in correcting TTs.

Whatever the cause of the pain, you need to have the Dr see DS ASAP. Call them and explain that its negatively affecting your Bfing relationship, that BM is the best but it's so painful you don't know if you can continue. Your child's health depends on being seen sooner rather than later. If they say they can't fit you in, call every morning and ask if there's been a cancellation that day--chances are you will find a spot within a few days. Or call another Dr.

You may also want to see a Lactation Consultant, preferably one who's IBCLC certified, to discuss baby's latch. She should also be able to tell if yeast is the culprit for the intense pain.

I know what it's like to dread nursing and experience terrible pain. I persisted through awful cracks, pain that felt like a thousand needles were piercing me every time DS fed, and the radiating pain throughout the breast during and after a feed. Keep it up, mama. I know it's hard, I've BTDT, and you can do it if you are committed to BFing.

Default Re: Painful Nursing

Excellent advice from the PP. I especially second her suggestions to move up the doctor's appointment and see an IBCLC.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"