Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I wake my baby to feed

Default Should I wake my baby to feed

My first child was bottle fed pumped breast milk and I never woke him to feed. With my new LO, he actually latched and I was told by other nursing moms to wake him every two hours to help with getting a longer stretch at night. Well, even with waking him up during the day, we never seem to get a stretch longer than two and a half hours.

Should I continue to wake my baby for feedings or let his natural hunger cues wake him?
    Last edited by @llli*jlf584; April 3rd, 2013 at 02:37 PM.

Default Re: Should I wake my baby to feed

How old is your baby? How is his diaper output? How is his weight gain? These will help us to answer you correctly.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

With a very young baby, it may be necessary to wake him instead of letting him wake himself. With an older baby, you can usually let the baby set his own rhythm.

When it comes to nighttime sleep, all bets are off. Some babies sleep long stretches from early on, some won't do it until they're toddlers. Your first baby was a "good" sleeper, but I don't think you should expect to get lucky like that two times in a row. Is it driving you bonkers?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Personally, my girls never went any longer than 4 hours up until they were 12 weeks old (weight gain and diapers were all great). Not based on anything other than my personal experience, so not scientific advice here. If they went longer I'd leak all over the place. If you've hit 12 weeks, try letting baby sleep and see how it goes one night. If they wake on their own, you can turn off the alarm clock. Keep an eye on diaper output and weight gain. If everything stays good, you can cut out the alarm clock all the time!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and