Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heartbroken, about to quit BF

Default Re: Heartbroken, about to quit BF

No stuffiness, just latches and drifts off to sleep, then screams when I take her off to burp and switch...

Ok!!! Saw the IBCLC last night and she put all of what's going on into perspective, good and bad (hindsight). LO is supposed to be over 8 lbs right now, she's 7 lb 3 oz Didn't realize how far behind she actually was until last night, at least 4 oz a week "normal gain", she's almost 10 weeks and only up 17 oz. Got an SNS feed assistant to supplement formula while breastfeeding, will start Fenugreek 3 caps 3x/day since obviously I'm not making enough, and that's why she falls asleep on the breast, either fall asleep or cry when she's hungry and not getting enough. It's like I finally had the "aha" moment and realized that I'm not failing her with my milk issues, that's part of life sometimes, but I was failing her by refusing to supplement, believing it would make me a failure as a mother. Now that I see how much catching up she has to do, I will definitely be supplementing until I'm able to pump 3-4oz from both sides in one session, just so I know I have a good supply. Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement! I hope this post will help other new mothers!!

I am so glad you got professional help and now have a plan for going forward! Yes certainly sometimes supplements are very much needed and will actually make continuing to breastfeed possible.

I would suggest to consider not going only by pump output to determine if you make 'enough,' for various reasons but especially since you will be using an sns to supplement, and not exclusively bottle feeding. This means baby will be getting some milk directly from the breast! Even mothers with entirely normal production who are separated from baby and pumping at work often have trouple pumping as much as 4 ounces at a time. I assume you are using a "hospital grade" pump? Anyway, Check with your IBCLC on the ways you can tell that you can start the process of weaning off supplements. I strongly urge you to keep following up with your IBCLC during this process.

Since you have determined the issue is low milk production, I also suggest the book Making More Milk , which is inexpensive and written for mothers but very informative.

I am using the Medela Freestyle pump, and now that I assume LO will be sleeping for more than 10 minutes at a time, with a full belly for sure now, I think I can pump and store more for when I do leave her, and to use breast milk instead of formula in the SNS. I will take her in for a weight check next Friday and hope she gains toward 7 ounces between last night and then, the higher end of the "average", since she's being supplemented.

And I was told last night, but didn't write it down, how long can I use the same formula in the SNS before I need to empty, wash, and refill it? I start out with 2 ounces since that's how much a scoop of powder formula will make.