Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heartbroken, about to quit BF

Default Re: Heartbroken, about to quit BF

Ok, she's up to 7lbs 4 oz!!! Last Wednesday she was 6lbs 12oz, progress! She's belowthe growth curve with height and weight, but she's where she needs to be developmentally...with that I have concluded that we simply have a small baby! She is still snacking all day and a few times at night, still has green poop, doing anything we can to keep her awake while feeding...that's all we can do. Thank you all for the encouragement and advice!

Wonderful news! Keep us posted with how things go.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Fantastic! Also remember the growth curve may be the one that's for all babies, rather than the one used for exclusively bf babies who are leaner. It's true that your DD may be wired to be petite. Think of all of the wonderful women in this world who grow up petite. They were probably small as babies too.

Glad that you got reassuring news
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

We have been having the same problem. He was also born 6 lbs 2 oz we left the hospital at 5 lbs 8oz. When he was 5 days old he was still at 5 lbs 8 oz so the pediatrician said to supplement him. A few days later he was back in the hospital (he turned blue )and nursing well and taking about an ounce of formula after each time I nursed him. But as time goes on I have started nursing him more times per day about every hour and a half, and I still have to keep giving him more and more formula for him to be satisfied. I pump after I feed him but I only get about an ounce combined, the one day I got 3 ounces and was so excited I cried. I completely understand how you feel. I feel like I have failed him in every way I had to have him by c-section and now I cant breastfeed him.

@actuallie: I hope you and your son find a rhythm! Thank you for your empathy!

I'm having a hard time with switch feeding to make sure she is getting the hindmilk...she will fall asleep at the breast after 2-5 minutes, so I burp her and move her to the other, heartbreaking cry and all, then she falls asleep faster, but she doesn't hardly eat. I've noticed that when I feel full she eats, but when I feel empty she doesn't eat much, then she's hungry for more in 5 minutes, she doesn't give me enough time between feedings to "fill up", should I supplement at those times?

I would not supplement. It's very likely to kill your supply. First of all, milk is produced on a supply = demand basis. Any time you mess with the demand side of the equation, you're going to change your supply. If you supplement, and your baby goes an hour or two between feedings instead of feeding again within 5 minutes, you have effectively told your body "Not much demand here, better decrease supply!" Your body doesn't like to produce extra milk because it's a waste of energy, and the more extra you have hanging around the more likely you are to end up with something nasty like a plugged duct or mastitis. Second, I know it seems obvious that the longer you wait in between feedings the more milk you will have when baby eats- but it actually doesn't work that way. A full breast makes milk very slowly. An empty one makes milk very quickly. So the emptier you can keep the breast, the more milk you will have. And conversely, every time you let the breast fill up to the point where it feels nice and full, your production is slowing down.

With sleepy babies, you sometimes have to be very persistent when it comes to nursing. They have to get the picture that mom is just going to annoy the bejeezus out of them unless they nurse well. And it can take time for that realization to sink in. Keep trying, mama!

Have you seen a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, yet? I'd love to have a professional evaluate your baby's feeding efficiency.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I have seen an IBCLC, and am going to her breastfeeding group again this Thurs evening. The last time baby girl was 9 days old, and while the LC was with us, she nursed beautifully...not like at home. We'll see how she performs Thursday!

She got her 2 month shots Friday and has had green to dark green poop ever since, more discouragement with hindmilk...I hope the LC can help with that since I've been compressing, massaging, talking to baby, moving, and trying all I can to keep her awake and eating while she's on the breast.

I'm also starting to worry about her sleep, she sleeps between 2 and 5 hrs at night, then gets fed and changed and sleeps another few, which I am so very thankful for! But during the day she used to take at least 3 good naps, but with the green diapers come "cat naps" between 5 and 10 minutes at a time and when I take her off the breast she's very angry and awake, from what seemed to be dead sleep. I know too little rest also interferes with growth...that's where I think that if she could get a belly full, supplement, she could sleep better, but since it hinders supply that's out...

Dark green poop following a round of shots is not uncommon. It doesn't necessarily indicate lack of hindmilk.

I wouldn't worry about the naps. The whole "too little rest is bad for growth" thing- I'm not really sure where that comes from. You kind of have to look at the baby's overall sleep amount, instead of looking at the increments. What Iran is that it doesn't really matter if a baby is a long-napper or a cat-napper- both types of babies get their sleep needs met, albeit in different increments.

Ok, thank you!! Will let you know how it goes with the IBCLC!

That moment after they latch on and suddenly stop is the thing of nightmares. Mine started doing that right before she got a very bad cold and has been doing it on and off ever since. Is your baby feeling well? Is she stuffed up at all? Sleepiness has also been the culprit for my girl, which I know is all or mostly due to her illness. I hope you can figure it out. My heart just sinks when she stops after those first few sucks.