Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heartbroken, about to quit BF

Default Heartbroken, about to quit BF

I thought we were in a good place with BF, until my now 8 week old got colicky and started having very green poops...I researched the color and found that the cause could be her only getting foremilk, so I massaged at feedings and between. This has not helped, she still has green poop, and she's back to falling asleep as soon as she latches. She just gulped down 2oz of formula, the first supplement I have given, and is sleeping like she used to after breast milk, . I am very financially invested in breastfeeding and don't want to give up, but the IBCLC available to me is a 30 minute drive from home and is only available in person next Thursday. I have looked at videos and read articles until my brain is fried with all the information, and I'm still at a loss and feeling like I have failed. When I have time to pump, I am only getting 1oz from combination left and right...I'm at a loss. Urine output is good, she poops between one and 8 times a day, so I thought we were ok until the green showed up.

Her weight at birth was 6lb 2oz, discharge 5lb 11oz, last week we had an appt for her and she was 6lb 11oz, not enough. I'm feeling like I have failed her and me, since she's not gaining enough, and that I might as well just do formula, even though that would confirm that I have failed to nourish her on my own.

Default Re: Heartbroken, about to quit BF

Mama, it's going to be okay. Even if you have to supplement, it's going to be okay. You're doing an awesome job.

Okay, let's start with the basics.
    1. How many times per day does baby nurse?
    2. Has baby always been weighed on the same scale, in the nude? Or are we dealing with several different scales here?
    3. How does nursing feel- is it comfortable for you or are you still sore?
    4. After baby unlatches from the breast, what shape are your nipples? Symmetrical, like pencil erasers or asymmetrical/ridged/creased/wedged/shaped like new lipsticks?
    5. Contraception- are you using anything right now? Particularly hormonal contraception?
    6. Your birth- any problems there? Retained placenta or placenta coming out in pieces? Prolonged bleeding? C-section?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the support, I don't have anyone close to talk to about these things. My mom bottlefed and any time I try to talk to her about the issues her first response is formula, and the pediatrician immediately suggests formula supplementation as opposed to pumping and using what I can get.

1. She nurses at least 12 times per day, leaving me not much time for pumping or anything else!
    2. From the hospital to the pediatrician there were different scales, and at her first well visit she was 5lb 6oz. From there it has been the same brand of scale in each exam room, naked, no diaper.
    3. Her latch is mostly comfortable, at times it hurts so I adjust her. I'm sore and dry so I keep Lanolin close.
    4. After she falls asleep while latched, I take her off to find an asymmetrical nipple, flattened and lighter than the rest of the aereola.
    5. No contraception, after the reading I did on the effects to supply I'll stick with either barrier or abstinance...sorry for my hubby! I'm not interested nor do I have the time anyway for any hanky panky!
    6. No problems with the birth that I know of...I had a Dr with a need to intervene though. Was admitted to the hospital 5cm and 100% effaced and she still gave me Pitocin and popped the bag...those were the only things that I know of outside of "natural" birth.

As soon as she latches, or two minutes after, at most, she's dozing or asleep. Mostly suckling...I have become her human pacifier! I wish she would eat as much as she suckles...she would be perfectly plump!! When I detach her, she's wide awake and searching like she had been eating and wants more...

I am sorry to hear that your daughter is not gaining weight as expected. As a mom of a very small baby, I know how stressful that can be and how it can make you feel inadequate. You are doing a fantastic job, nursing an 8 week old is a very hard, but you have come to the right place for help! I don't have as much experience with the problems you are having, so I will let others chime in, but keep your head up!
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

A couple more questions:
    1) How many wet or poopy diapers is she having a day?
    2) What are your reasons for pumping right now?

She has between 1 and 8 poopy diapers, and today she's had 3 really, really green ones. She has at least 6 wet diapers a day, so that tells me from the reading I've done, that she's getting milk from me, but not enough fat to balance the lactose content.

I'm trying to pump to build up so I can find a job. I want enough for two hours for interviews and at least one 12 hour day, I'm a nurse and hospital shifts are typically 12 hrs...and my title is more pressure to know what's wrong and how to fix it with my daughter.

The sleepiness is probably the first angle to work on. Some babies just fall asleep so wuickly that they don't nurse enough, spending their time with shallow comfort sucking instead of active, nutritive sucking.

Tips for waking a sleepy baby:
    - Keep her cool. When it's time to nurse, strip her down to a single light layer, or even just a diaper if it's warm enough, and keep a fan blowing in the room where you nurse (not directly on the baby).
    - Annoy her. Rub agains the grain of her hair or tickle the soles of her feet using your hand or a cool, damp washcloth.
    - Do breast compressions to speed milk flow to the baby whenever her suckling slows.
    - Try switch nursing. When baby's nursing slows down, and she's transitioning into shallow, fluttery comfort sucking, you take her off the breast, burp her or change her diaper, and switch her to the other side. If she starts to fall asleep on the second breast, switch her back to the first. Switch nursing is good for supply, keeps the baby active at the breast, and hopefully teaches the baby that she needs to stay active or you're going to annoy the heck out of her.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the information, today she's been 'snacking' even with all the suggestions to wake her... :\ We have her 2 moth shot appt tomorrow, so we'll find out if she's gaining better, I'll keep you posted.

I agree with mommal. When I had DD1, we were in the NICU for 8 days. The nurse practitioner assigned to us said the same things about about annoying baby. "Nursing time is for feeding, not snuggling." She would have me sit her up, unwrap her from her blankets, tickle her feet and have a cool cloth on hand for wiping her face. Even once we had her home, we'd nurse, wait until she started to nod off, change her diaper and then nurse on the other side.

Keep in mind too that you may be experiencing a growth spurt as well. My girls would get a little green during those marathon nursing sessions too. These might help:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurts/
    http://kellymom.com/health/baby-heal...-green-stools/
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and