Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What leads to your body not thinking it needs to supply more

Default What leads to your body not thinking it needs to supply more

Now that we are done nursing and starting to think about #2 my husband and I have been talking about what might have caused me to have such a low supply.
    Here is my actual question, the rest is just background:

If I didn't get the baby to the breast and enough contact in the first week, could my body have just said well that is all, I don't need and won't make more than that?

We are looking back now and thinking there wasn't enough skin contact or breastfeeding trials. No matter what I tried, I could never get more than 7 oz in a 24 hour period of pumping. Just in case, here is what I tried:

manual pump, electric pump, hospital grade pump, more milk, more milk plus (the one for pcos), booby tubes, oatmeal, lactation cookies, eating a lot, eating a little, exercising, not exercising, showering before pumping, pumping every 2 hours, pumping every 4, pumping for all kinds of crazy amounts of times, pumping before feedings, pumping after fee3
    []'massaging, blood and hormone panels. I tried the tea but it made me gag too much. I talked with 3 different LC. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Default Re: What leads to your body not thinking it needs to supply

THe baby not being latched on could have caused you to get less than normal. THe baby is always a much better milk extractor than the pump. Also if you were pumping on the 1st few days, there wouldn't have been very much at all. Because colostrum is very very rich but there isn't much and you dont need much.
    Not pumping OFTEN ENOUGH or having the baby at the breast OFTEN ENOUGH is usually the culprit. You would been to be pumping 10-12times in a 24hour period AT LEAST to get your milk to come in in the way that would mimic a newborn feeding. Which is literally every 1-3hours around the clock the 1st 6-12 weeks.

Way too lazy for formula

Get your baby to the breast and let them have unlimited accesss. The pumping in the beginning just complicates things.

Way too lazy for formula

and yeah, i think research has shown that maximum supply is determined largely in the first few weeks. so this definitely could have impacted things. (sorry, don't have my research books in bed with me )
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.