Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing like crazy, now low supply

Default Nursing like crazy, now low supply

Hi mamas

So, DS is 8.5mo old, I've posted before about his nursing and sleeping pattern (nurses 6-8times/day plus 3 expressed bottles at daycare, wakes frequently in the night)

Last 2 nights were terrible--he literally would NOT sleep. He would fall asleep nursing and as soon as his head hit the crib mattress he rolls to him stomach and starts crying and fussing and eventually pulls himself up to standing on the crib sides. This went on about 7 times before finally my husband went in and patted his back for 3 minutes and he fell asleep for 4hrs. At 330 this morning the same thing, he wouldn't go back down.

My issue is two-fold: all this night waking is so exhausting but I know it is just a phase and perhaps it's developmental/teething/gas/all of the above, I don't know!
    But now, due to the excessive nursing my expressed milk supply has dropped--I usually produce EXACTLY 12oz in 3, 15min sessions. Yesterday I only got 10 and today so far my 1st session yielded 1oz...

I am going to try and fit some more sessions in today, but is there something else I should be doing or just wait until my body catches up to the increased feedings. I'm having to pull from freezer stash to meet the 12oz I send with him to daycare.

Thanks all
    Amy

Default Re: Nursing like crazy, now low supply

Can you fit more pump sessions into the day? That's usually the first line of defense when your output slumps. Also, how's your pump- could it use new valves, new tubes? Does the motor need to be rehabbed?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Can you fit more pump sessions into the day? That's usually the first line of defense when your output slumps. Also, how's your pump- could it use new valves, new tubes? Does the motor need to be rehabbed?
    My pump should be okay--it's only been in use for 5 months--it's the Medela Freestyle

I am trying to add another session at night because fitting more than 3 in the work day is tough and when I'm home he nurses so another session usually doesn't yield much. I've been trying the "nurse on one side, pump the other" and it's giving me another ounce or so.

Right now I'm thinking (Hoping) his demand is just up and my body will catch up in a few days and level off as he does.

I usually send him to daycare with 12oz for a 8.5hr Day--which is a little on the high side. Tomorrow I'm sending 10oz and we'll see how it goes.

the extra pump won't yield much till your body catches up with it. give it a week. seems like almost everyone has a tough time producing enough for the pump right around this age. you can also do a power pump weekend where you pump after every single nursing. it'll be all you do for that weekend, but it'll almost certainly work to bring your supply up. i empathize!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    the extra pump won't yield much till your body catches up with it. give it a week. seems like almost everyone has a tough time producing enough for the pump right around this age. you can also do a power pump weekend where you pump after every single nursing. it'll be all you do for that weekend, but it'll almost certainly work to bring your supply up. i empathize!
    Thanks Auderey--I will definitely try the Power Pump this weekend

Out of curiosity, why are our milk supplies affected at this age in particular? Is it because they nurse more frequently or is it something with us hormonally?

not sure. i think it likely has somethign to do with supply continually regulating down to what baby needs, to conserve energy, and since pumps are so much less efficient the cues to the body just aren't strong enough. i've also heard a lot of people say they "get used" to the pump (in a bad way). but who knows?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'd think its your pump problem. Because increased nursing will definitely lead to increased supply! I have the same pump. But after some months, I can only pump milk out from one side, not the other. It's strange but things likes this happen. I bought a hand pump and have better luck.
    Babies do go through another sleep regression anytime from 8-10 months. It's like the 4-month regression. My lo had this too.
    Your supply could have dropped perhaps due to stress from the lack of sleep. Give it some time, your supply will come back up!