Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pulling, biting and getting teeth

Default Pulling, biting and getting teeth

hi mamas, my lo is getting teeth and she sometimes pulls and bites.. do you have any suggestions for teaching her not to? she's 6 months. for those of you who have been through this stage how badly am I looking at getting hurt? lol seriously though, did you ever sustain an injury from biting when your lo got teeth? how bad? and can you advice as to how to avoid???

looking back at that first week when my nipples hurt a lot and blistered I don't know how I managed to withstand it but I'm glad I did. but nipple soreness in the first week is something we're all told to expect... whereas many people I know simply say they stopped breastfeeding when their kids got teeth, so there isn't a lot of advice out there about how to deal if you want to keep going...

Default Re: Pulling, biting and getting teeth

This link covers biting and what to do about it: http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/

Stay calm, and remember that it can take many repetitions of the "you bite, I put you down" lesson before baby gets the message.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! It seems like a lot of the advice is to stop nursing when she bites but I have been letting her get away with poor nursing behavior for a long time... not so much biting, but she will often pull, pop on and off and then suck the nipple into her mouth (if you can picture that, it is uncomfortable but my nipples have gotten tough and I've just been putting up with it!) I guess she does this stuff because she's gassy or just distracted/uninterested but I like to try to finish or get as much milk into her as I can especially once the milk lets down. I've also noticed lately that I haven't been bothering enough with waiting for her mouth to open wide and positioning her.. instead I just let her grab the nipple however she chooses. Her latch is fine so I haven't worried about it but she does that sucking the nipple in thing often instead of opening wide. So I tried telling her 'open wide' and did an 'O' face to show her what I meant and she just laughed at me!

Which teeth is she getting? How many?

My problems with teeth was when my LO got his bottom 2 at 4 months. He would scrape them on my nipple as he suckled--youch! After a few days it kinda resolved itself. Luckily, the only time he "bites" me is when he is falling asleep and his jaw seems to close down and I feel sharp teeth press in. This only happens on occassion. I've been grateful not to have any punctures, but I've heard they can be painful. I think some good advice is taking baby off the breast and putting her down when she bites. Also trying to get her to open her mouth as wide as possible will help with any teething concerns. I found after that initial period, nursing a baby with teeth (he has 6 now) is not really much different. No need to wean!

You mentioned distraction--it may be unrelated to teething, or baby could be popping off because her gums are hurting. Either way, what I did when my LO was teething and super distracted was put on a string of plastic marti gras beads and let him touch and look at them. He was totally engrossed! Even now when he's distracted and doesn't want to nurse, I give him something to hold, like a bib or stuffed animal with a tag (for whatever reason he loves tags), or wear a sweater with big buttons he can touch. Anything to keep him nursing!
    Andie

born 6/13/2012

~First-time Mama~
    and now finished with

teeth are definitely not a reason to wean. Mine is 4 1/2 and has all his teeth. He has learned not to bite and has not done so in the last 2 1/2 yrs. We went through a bad phase each time he had teeth come through, eventually I just took the biting as an indicator that the tooth came out and also it did stop when it was out.

I did various things to cope, mostly what I did was when alone, just put him down as PPs suggest, and if my husband was home I would hand him to my husband because sometimes it was so bad I simply need to go off to the bathroom to comfort myself.

Mine nver dsiplayed any distraction worth mentioning so I cannot comment on that - he always is and was focussed on the breast and kneading my elbow folds at the same time

He had a very bad biting phase when he was about 18 to 20 months. At that time I promised him I would buy him a biting toy he could choose and we did, and I wore it on a string around the neck (not around his neck, too dangerous!) and each time I saw he got that special glint in his eye i said: if you want to bite, bite this and offered the teething ring. It actually worked quite well after some trying weeks. At that age he did bite me once so badly it bled and I was unable to nurse on that breast for a while.