Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: burping at night

Default burping at night

hey, just wondering if any of you have tips for burping a baby at night (when they tend to just nurse and fall fast asleep again)

Default Re: burping at night

Don't bother? I never did.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I only burped at night during the first five weeks or so while I was still getting out of bed with DD. I would put her on my shoulder, even if she was asleep, and if I just did some gentle tapping, a burp would come out. After that, we started cosleeping, and I didn't bother burping anymore, unless she seemed uncomfortable.

she burps a lot but it's difficult to get one out without waking her

What happens if you don't burp her? Does she just sleep? I would only burp if the gas actually bothered her. If it does, try rolling her onto your chest and holding her slightly upright, and gently rubbing her back. If she wakes, then just nurse her a tiny bit more and put her back down.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My 8-month-old still needs to burp quite often at night (she nurses every two hours or so) - but she has always been an efficient burper such that I can just sit up with her in my arms (or, to be honest, if I'm super tired I can just sit HER up next to me and stay lying down, haha!), and pretty much as soon as she gets vertical she burps. And then she usually isn't awake enough that she needs to nurse any more, I can just lay her down and she goes to sleep. I don't know if that would wake your baby up, but it might be worth a try - just sitting up and maybe a gentle back rub? (I can tell she needs to burp when she arches her back and squirms instead of going to sleep when she pops off after nursing.)

My DS didn't burp well, even when wide awake. I never really tried to burp him at night, and he seemed fine. The good thing about breastfeeding is that baby takes in way less air than with a bottle!