Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting too late?

Default starting too late?

hi, is it possible I could be too late getting started if my lo showed a lot of interest before 6m but I waited and now she doesn't seem interested? I've offered banana yams and now oat cereal and she has seemed disgusted with them all! what can I do?

Default Re: starting too late?

What can you do?

Relax.

You didn't wait too long. It is recommended that solids introduction begin at 6 months. Until around a year, breastmilk (or formula) alone meet all a baby's nutritional needs, and solids are only for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. So if your baby eats solids, that's great! And if she tastes them and then spits them out, great! And if she refuses to taste them, preferring to explore them with her hands, still great! It's all part of the learning experience.

At 6 months, quantities of solids should be small. A couple of teaspoons per day is more than sufficient- and again, if all your LO does is play with them, that's okay! Many babies do not start eating significant quantities of solids until they are well over a year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm also wondering what foods to offer for a vegetarian baby and how soon can I offer things like lentils, egg and spinach for iron? I really want to find something that she likes too. So far her reaction has been one of pure disgust! it's kind of funny but she was so fascinated with what we were eating all the time at 4-5 months so I really hoped she'd be excited to try different foods.

You may find this view on egg yolks interesting. I've been trying to get my DD to eat cooked yolks since 7 mos but she's had no interest in solids. I still offer foods weekly.

http://www.westonaprice.org/children...feeding-babies "A wise supplement for all babies—whether breast fed or bottle fed—is an egg yolk per day, beginning at four months. Egg yolk supplies cholesterol needed for mental development as well as important sulphur-containing amino acids. Egg yolks from pasture-fed hens or hens raised on flax meal, fish meal or insects are also rich in the omega-3 long-chain fatty acids found in mother's milk but which may be lacking in cow's milk. These fatty acids are essential for the development of the brain. Parents who institute the practice of feeding egg yolk to baby will be rewarded with children who speak and take directions at an early age. The white, which contains difficult-to-digest proteins, should not be given before the age of one year."
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Sometimes, babies don't immediately like a new food given to them. It's quite common for my lo to try a food 3 times before he likes it. And most of the time, he makes a funny face (like he's tasted something sour) upon new food, but wants to keep biting it anyway. So don't let your baby's expression be a sole indicator of his preference!