Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping without a schedule?

Default Pumping without a schedule?

Hello,
    I have been reading through the old posts like crazy, but still have a few questions. My little man is 2 months old and we have worked our way to a good bf relationship . I would like to build up a milk stash for the occasional break and I will have to look at going back to work in Sept. Thing is lo doesn't like to sleep... He will fight to stay awake all day for 2-3 days and then sleeps for most of a day or 2. Pumping during his awake days is nearly impossible because he eats all day (from 4-5 am until 9-11 and then he will sleep and wake up for a feed in between. There is usually a few short naps during the day) On his sleepy days I can count on at least 2 one hour and longer naps - I was hoping I could pump on these days (would help as I get uncomfortably full during the long naps). Do I have to pump at specific times or can I just "wing it" depending on when he sleeps and how over full I am. Do I have to pump until I'm empty or can I stop after I feel like I've pumped a good amount?
    I am a little worried about oversupply as I think I might already be fighting with this or OAL (coughing, gulping, foamy poo, clicking, fussiness, engorgement). Any suggestions on getting the extra supply without overdoing it? I have pumped 3 times now and I got about 1 1/2 oz from 1 breast in about 10 min each time. I didn't pump for longer as I'm still "getting to know" my pump. I am using a Philips Avent manual pump (2nd hand). I never used a pump with my first son (bf 10 months) so this is completely new to me. Also any suggestions on where to buy milk storage bags online? Sorry this is so long. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Pumping without a schedule?

hi mama, it does sound to me like you might be dealing with a little OS/OAL, especially because you're getting an incredible amount of milk very quickly with a hand pump. it would be more normal to get 1 oz total with an electric pump in addition to fulltime nursing. and the pump will make this worse.

so to answer your pumping questions - yes, for now you can just wing it and pump on occasion when you need to. there is really no need to build up a stash .... when you ar away from baby, you'll need to pump when he gets a bottle anyway, so one day's worth is really enough. a couple of 3 oz bottles is all you need. lots of moms WANT more because it's reassuring, but particularly if you're on the edge of OS/OALD, you don't want to exacerbate things unnecessarily.

also, september is FOREVER away, so don't even think about pumping for work until a month before you go back. i mean, milk you pump now will hardly even be good then, in a regular freezer!

i bought my bags on amazon. i liked lansinoh hands down best, but never tried honeysuckle with also get high marks around here.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'd pump in 3oz increments and don't really worry about pumping more than 12-16 oz. Because you really can keep milk in the regular freezer for about 3 months. And I would only pump on the days that you are feeling uncomfortable during the long naps.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you! I will try only pumping a bit on his sleepy days. For my breaks I would only be gone a max of 2 - 2 1/2 hrs but won't want to pump during (unless in discomfort) as it would be extremely difficult even with a hand pump So I would like just an occasional 2-3 oz bottle to leave with him just in case. Yes its only slight oversupply or OAL, we've gotten much better thanks to reading many of the posts here - no more green poo and way less fussing at the breast/pulling off ect. I've checked out Amazon - we live a fair ways from a larger center that would carry the bags and only go there rarely. The best deal I saw was for zip lock bags (listed as made for breast feeding) anybody here ever tried these?

i would NOT just buy the cheapest bags, because milk is precious, and cheap bags break and leak. the cost per bag is so small that in the end you're only going to be spending a few dollars difference on a large number of bags, and trust me, once you start pumping, those few dollars will be worth it not to lose oz of milk!

i would make sure that the plastic is food-grade, no bpa. i'm not convinced that any plastic is safe to store in, actually, which is why we stored about half my milk in glass bottles ... but that freezer burns faster because it's not airtight, plus takes a lot of space, so it has to be milk you're going to use pretty soon.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.