Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does it matter which pumping sessions you drop first?

Default Does it matter which pumping sessions you drop first?

Thinking of weaning from the pump.

From 6weeks-11months, I pumped at 10:30, 1pm and 3:30pm (plus nights and weekends)
    at 11 months, I cut out the 10:30 session and was only pumping 2x a day.

My son turned 1 year last week and I have cut back to one pumping session per day and I am only getting about 2oz (a bit more if I pump later in the day).

Lately I find myself just pumping at whatever time is convenient while I am working. Sometimes it's on my lunch, sometimes it's in the later afternoon. It's definitely not for comfort at this point. I pump so that my son has something to drink at daycare (I mix breast milk with cows milk now).

I think I'm going to give up pumping completely very soon, but obviously something is holding me back. I feel like the 2-3oz of pumped breast milk he is getting is so minimal now that it's not even worth it (he nurses 5x in a 24hr period when we are together).

Does being on a regular pumping schedule matter at this point? Or is it okay to be erratic with it?
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

Default Re: Does it matter which pumping sessions you drop first?

Hi mama, congrats for getting to a year! I'm wondering why you still want to pump? If he is nursing 5x per 24 hours he is getting plenty of dairy; you don't need to offer him cow's milk unless you want to. Anyway, if you do still want to pump for whatever reason, I don't think it matters too much when you do it. It's basically "bonus milk," you know? So quantity doesn't matter too much.

I just got myself completely off the pump in the last week - it feels good! But I get why you are reluctant... after spending so much time worrying about pumping enough, it's sort of weird to think about not doing it anymore, right? I guess you'll know when the time is right for you!

You nailed it!

I also really worry about his intake. He's a really small little boy (not yet 17lbs @ 1 year old), and I feel like pumping for him is the "right" thing to do. I dunno!

Maybe it's crazy. I'm so ready to quit pumping AND washing bottles, but I still see my son as this tiny baby who needs mama's milk!

Yes, I hear you. But he IS getting mama's milk, whether you pump or not, right? 5x per day? Anyway, no harm done I suppose in continuing to pump... though I think if you are waiting for him not to be a baby it might still be a while! Although they're officially toddlers at 1 they're still very much babies still, aren't they?

Yesterday, for the first time since I returned to work, I did not pump at all!! It felt great I'm kind of excited!

He also had his one year check up and HE HIT 17LBS!! He's still a tiny thing, but the doctor said he was very healthy, his iron levels were great, and he is advanced in his development. I am so proud!

That's great news! I'm really glad that the doctor was positive and supportive. And congrats on going pump-free!