Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much milk should i bag for a bottle

Default How much milk should i bag for a bottle

Going back to work and im not sure what size bottle to make

Default Re: How much milk should i bag for a bottle

I liked to bag 3-4oz, and in addition to that, I would always keep an ice cube try (they make these with lids specifically for storing milk). This way if you need a whole bottle you can thaw out a bag....but if you only need 1-2oz, you can get it from the tray!
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

Yup, 3-4 oz in a bag/bottle, plus some bonus 1-2 oz-ers.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I did 3 oz bottles and wasted a ton the 1st day back to work. I'd do 2 oz bottles with additional 1 oz bottles to top baby off if still hungry. If u r using plastic storage bags, they defrost so quickly so you can keep them frozen and have your caregiver defrost as needed. Also, if u aren't sure LO will take nipple/bottle, I'd be conservative on how much you defrost or put in a bottle-- my LO refused any till I came home ;( Good luck and sorry u have to go back to work... i know how u must feel! it does get better over time...

I have intentionally done a variety of volumes from 1 to 5 oz and it has generally worked well. My daughter's caregiver can defrost a 5 oz bag in the morning and know that whatever she doesn't drink will still be good later the same day... or if it is close to the end of the day and there is no thawed milk left, she can go in there and find a 2 oz bag to hold her until I get there. Also, I have found my baby's preferred bottle size has shifted over time. It reached a peak right before she started eating significant amounts of solids and has started to go down a little bit as she gets close to 12 months. Because she's drinking milk that was frozen a couple of months earlier, I realized that it doesn't make sense to freeze amounts based on the bottle size she's most often taking now. So I think creating a variety pack for yourself is a good strategy.