Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Funny suctiony noise while nursing?

Default Funny suctiony noise while nursing?

Hi, guys. Sorry to bug you again! I just thought I'd update and babble about a concern I've had for about a week now. Anyway!

DS is doing great; 17 lbs at 2 months (born at 9, almost 10), blah blah blah. Fat, chunky, needy thing. He's grumpy and cooing and all that baby good stuff. Anyway - okay. Here's our newest issue:

When he is on my boob, he does okay: sometimes, latching takes 10 times to succeed, but we get it eventually .... thing is, he makes this weird ... suctiony noise? I'm not sure how to describe it. I try to fix his positioning, I take him off and put him back on, but it's just ... it's -so- weird, and to be honest, obnoxious and grating to listen to when I'm having a near panic attack while being concerned that he's not getting enough milk. It almost sounds like a hiccup against my boob, or like smacking his lips with poor suction on my boob, some weird ... I can't even say. Should I be concerned? I'm still having OALD problems, but that seems to have settled down in that he doesn't pull off during every let down anymore. I'm just super worried about him getting enough to eat. (I burp him and he burps still, and sometimes spits up, so I assume he's getting enough, I just ...) Bleh.

Hope everyone's Easter was lovely!
    The Three Loves of My Life:
    SO: 12/12/2005
    DS: 10/11/2011
    DS: 1/27/2013

Default Re: Funny suctiony noise while nursing?

Has he been checked for tongue/upper lip ties? Sometimes those can make for noisy nursing.

Babies who cope with OALD are often very noisy nursers. They'll often gag, splutter, cough, or make a click or cluck noise as they nurse. My second LO sounded like a wheezing screen door.

I'm betting that the suction-y noise is the "cluck" that means baby is briefly breaking suction in order to control the milk flow. If so, it's nothing to worry about.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carm3 View Post
    Has he been checked for tongue/upper lip ties? Sometimes those can make for noisy nursing.
    I had his primary care doctor check and he said that he had "mobility" of his lips and tongue on both sides and that there was no tie ... but I look at it and to me, it looks like an upper lip tie.

*head desk* Is this going to impact him in any way? His brother looked like he had the same sort of tie, but never was this noisy, not EVER. I suppose I don't care too much about the noise, grating as it might be when I'm doing my damndest to nurse the baby, I just want to make sure he's getting enough!
    The Three Loves of My Life:
    SO: 12/12/2005
    DS: 10/11/2011
    DS: 1/27/2013

I think that as long as he's gaining well, having adequate output, and your supply is good, it doesn't sound like it's impacting him or you, other than the noise! However, if you're interested in reading more about the other possible issues, check out www.kiddsteeth.com . I found it really helpful.

I'm having same grading noise "clicking" with my LO. I can also hear him swallowing air. And he will sometimes stop bc of that air I'm guessing it hurts going down bc of his reaction. I have a very sore right nipple too. I know he is getting enough bc he is a super chunckster at 15lbs and 2m. And he seems very satisfyed after only anout 5m of nursing. I have OALD too. He didn't start this noise till about 2-3wks ago I guess to cope with the OALD bc he doesn't choke, gag and come off the breast as much as he use to. I've tried relatching over and over and I just can't get him to open very wide and get a deeper latch.
    My nipples don't get the lipstick shape but my right is white on the tip and its the one that hurts I'm guessing from compression. I have rather large nipples and my other LO clicked too but it wasn't painful for me and he didn't swallow a lot of air. I saw 3 LC and they all said his latch was perfect and if the clicking wasn't hurting either of us in any way then try to ignore it.
    This time it hurts tho. Also I have noticed sometimes my nipple seems to invert. I never had inverted nipple before but maybe from losing tissue mass from breast feeding, pregnancy; weight gain and lose....has any one heard of suddenly getting inverted nipples....although they don't invert when I do the inverted nipple test. Does any of that make sense?
    I need to call my hospitals LC but
    Mommy of LJ March 2008 and Ian Aug 2010

...but...well I don't really have a good "but". I just don't have a lot of time. I don't have a babysitter for my other 2 LO's and I really don't like taking all 3 out without help....and I don't have much help.
    Mommy of LJ March 2008 and Ian Aug 2010