Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby falling asleep at the breast?

Default Baby falling asleep at the breast?

If the baby falls asleep as the breast, how will he/she get the hind mik it need to not lose a lot of weight?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Baby falling asleep at the breast?

I don't know what anyone else does but I tickle feeet, give baths and generally make a nuisance of myself until lo wakes hisself up.

how long after baby starts nursing does he/she fall asleep? i only ask because that's one of the cues that baby has finished nursing. if baby is falling asleep within a few minutes of nursing, you can try to stimulate her by rubbing her cheek or chin...or switching positions.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

A mid-feeding diaper change with the light on does wonders for a sleepy baby. Just be careful not to jossle the baby too much because that inevitably leads to spitting up. Also, rubbing a cool cloth on the face and chest have been successful for me...

Babies also tend to suck (although at a slower rate) even after they have fallen asleep. The fat content of the milk changes slowly over the course of a nursing session, so it isn't an all or nothing thing as far as hind milk goes.

I try several things - usually, it's the mid-feed diaper change right before I change sides. If I've changed sides (say in a late night feed where I don't want to wake us both up all the way), then I will peel his pajamas off and tickle his feet, his ears, his tummy, whatever gets him squirming and sucking again. I know he's really asleep when he falls completely off the nipple and doesn't notice when I wipe the drips off his chin. Hehehehe...

Don't worry, baby will wake up hungry sooner than you would like.

My son used to fall asleep at the breast all the time. I tried undressing him to his diaper, tickling his feet, a damp washcloth on his forehead, loud noises, nothing worked.
    He would start feeding and after 2 minutes or less would fall asleep. Then he would wake up 1/2 hour later or less and scream because he was hungry. It was like that 24hrs. It just seemed like a LOOONG 24hr feeding session.

It does go away, but it takes time. For me it wasn't until after 4-5 weeks.