Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Determining when baby is done with a feeding?

Default Determining when baby is done with a feeding?

I've read about the cues...but how do you know he/she is really done without compromising the amount of milk he/she should recieve and not ending up with engorged breasts?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Determining when baby is done with a feeding?

When he/she comes off on their own is usually the best sign.

besides the obvious cues that you've read about (e.g., pulling off herself and looking satisfied, going to sleep, changing from an active suck/swallow to more of a pacifier suck, etc.), always OFFER the second side, but don't worry if baby doesn't seem to need it. according to kellymom.com, "It's much more important that she be allowed to completely finish one side than that she nurse both sides. By doing so she will be assured of reaching enough of the richer, more caloric hindmilk that helps her to go longer between feedings."

another thing to look (or feel) for is a softer, emptier breast. i can always tell that dd is really finished when she falls asleep or lets go on her own and my breast feels softer.

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Good question. My baby comes off on her own after about 4 minutes because she needs to burp... then she is ready to eat more. Sometimes she comes off several times if she is trying to have a bowel movement. Are there any other signs to watch for? I've heard about the 'drunkin' sailor' look. Is that a legitimate sign that she is full. She doesn't do it every time though, but won't always take more milk.

lol- petro! I call lo my "little milk dud" when he goes all milk drunk on me!

Love the name carpentergirl. Also love the look because it generally means at least an hour and a half of sleep for me.

Those silly smiles are so precious! I always called them my "thankyou for all the good milk mommy" smiles. Made me feel so appreciated!

hehe i didn't realise the drunken look was with everyone

my lo tells me he's done normally by falling asleep and pulling off and staying asleep or i ease my nipple out gently cos he's fallen asleep and isn't really feeding.