Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Running low on milk?

Default Running low on milk?

The last few nights at around 8pm when trying to feed my daughter (5 weeks!), she has fought me basically the entire feeding. I assumed it was because she was overstimulated/over tired and because she seemed to be gulping a lot and getting a lot of air, so I would have to burp her often during the feeding to get her to latch back on. However, tonight when she was fighting me again, my husband suggested that I pump and he would try to give her a bottle. When I attempted to pump I got virtually nothing out of either breast (she had already fed some out of each, but is typically a one-breast-per-feeding baby). Is it possible she has been fighting me during the feedings because I am 'running out' of milk? I always thought milk was supply and demand. . .Or is it, alternatively, possible that the reason why I couldn't get milk when I was pumping tonight was because I was stressed at the time and didn't let down, even though I might have still had enough milk in my breasts? Any advice would be welcome. As a side note, we had a Dr. appt. today as well and she is gaining well, but I didn't know if this was a newly developed problem or not. . . .Please help!

Default Re: Running low on milk?

Welcome to the forum and Congrats on you LO!! It is entirely possible that when you tried to pump, you were just stressed out...pumping is usuallly not a good indication of how much milk you LO is getting. The most important thing is the diaper output and weight gain...which by the sounds of it seem pretty on track! Good job!
    Now I don't assume that every one has the same problems that I have had , but it almost sound like OALD (over active let-down)., hence the gulping, fighting at the breast, gasping, gassiness, etc. Or definitely a growth spurt could be happening!! Which you just need to let LO be at the breast as much as possible to stimulate production...Here is a great link that may help you in determining the problem. If any of these sound like you, come back and we can get you on the right track! The good news is that you have found the most awesome resource (IMHO) out there!! It will get better!
    Last edited by wyattsmama; November 22nd, 2006 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add more info

Based on the fact that your baby has been gaining fine, I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

As everyone will tell you, a baby is MUCH more efficient than a pump. I've actually found I can hand express more than my electric or manual pumps will do! Crazy. And you are right about the stress. That will definitely impact the situation. Has there been any added stress around the house? I know the holidays always kill me. But maybe lo's used to a calm 8pm feeding and still senses tension at this time (mine is more sensitive to this right before bed). Or has her napping changed? Kate won't eat if she's overtired. Just some thoughts. Have you added something new to your dinners the last few nights? It could be the ever blamed 'growth spurt' too. Have you tried feeding her sooner than 8pm? Perhaps she's too hungry and can't calm down.

I would take it a day at a time. The fact that everything goes well during all the other feedings is a good sign! I know this is little comfort when your dd is fighting you at 8pm.

If things continue or get worse call the pediatrician. He/she should be able to help you get to the root of things.

I think that I do have overactive letdown, based on the fact that she pulls of coughing sometimes with the first let down especially. What do you recommend to combat this?

There is a whole section if you scroll down on the main page called TOO MUCH MILK. That is a great place to start. In the mean time, I would suggest having a cloth diaper or burp cloth handy...when you feel let-down coming pull baby off and let that first Gush of milk go into the cloth. I wouldn't start block feeding just yet, unless you have a more serious issue. Of course I am not an expert Also, be sure to let LO finish breast completely for each feeding, which may mean nursing only on one side per feeding. Let us now how it goes!

heyy... maybe I have an overactive let down... woah i never thought of that.. cuz that sounds like my baby... taking a few sips then fighting me and coming off coughing. Also when he pulls away there is an extreme spray of milk.. too bad it doesnt help my AMOUNT of milk cuz when i pump i just can never get enough... ugh... how in the world can i go anywhere.. its like i have enough for the baby but never enough for the pump! anyways im gonna read up on the overactive let down... he really fights me sometmies.. as if every few sips in painful..lots of gas and spitup too.. I feel your pain...

by the way.. what is all this code? LO..and LD and so on

Quote Originally Posted by Joshy's Mama View Post
    by the way.. what is all this code? LO..and LD and so on
    Click here