Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I try this?

Default Should I try this?

So in my relactating journey I have hit another road block. I got sick and wasn't bed sharing so that he didnt get sick and my husband was giving him bottles at night so I could rest. I wasn't able to pump as much and I got dehydrated so my supply to a dip. Now he is refusing to nurse again and I don't know what to do. He was nursing so good and now we are back to square one. My supply seems to be improving quickly but he won't even nurse in the middle of the night now and that was when he always nursed best. I have read a couple stories of relactating success where the mom had to just let the baby cry until they finally took it and they only had to do it one time and then they never had another issue and went on to bf fine. I am wondering if I should try this. I am worried that it is going to give him a aversion to the breast though. At this point I am feeling a little desperate to get back to where we were last week before I got sick but I dont know if this is a good idea or not.

Default Re: Should I try this?

Does he want a bottle in the middle of the night or is he just not getting up to eat? Is he refusing to latch completely?

Yes he wants a bottle in the middle of the night still, he never used to take them at night I could just nurse him. Last night I was able to get him to nurse a little bit but he still needed a bottle afterwards. Oh and he is 15wks old

I personally would not go the route of letting baby cry until he took the breast. It sounds like you've done an amazing job relactating, and that this is now more like a nursing strike. I'd say you want to gently coax the baby back to the breast using the techniques from Kellymom http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Best of luck mama!

Sorry 16wks old not 15. Yes I didn't not like seeing him upset like that. I went through and read those suggestions and will be trying them. Thank you.