Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Swollen nipple with mastitis

Default Swollen nipple with mastitis

Deleted
    Last edited by @llli*mommymaize; October 24th, 2013 at 01:36 PM.

Default Re: Swollen nipple with mastitis

A swollen nipple is not usually a component of mastitis. Perhaps the infection is in the nipple itself? Multiple blisters is a little unusual as well.

What's not unusual during mastitis is having a breast that is difficult to fully drain. Have you done lots of moist heat, like soaking that breast in the shower/bath/bowl of hot water?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have thrush too but doc refuses to give me diflucan since they say I don't need it bc baby doesn't have it. I'm positive that is the cause of my mastitis. I'm in the process of looking for a new doc since they seem to be no help. I was also wondering If the infection was in the nipple. I had a good size lump in the breast though. I've soaked my boob and used wet hot wash cloths and massaged and of course my showers. I do it daily. I've had the hardest time with this side. I did not have this much trouble with my other son

I am not sure what you mean-I do not think thrush can cause mastitis(?) Thrush is a yeast overgrowth and not an 'infection' at all-even though it will cause severe breast pain. If you and/or baby have not been able to empty the breast effectively and frequently due to the pain of thrush, THAT could lead to mastitis. Or do you have open wounds that you think are from thrush and you think that is where the breast infection originated?

Anyway, if you have thrush it is ridiculous (but sadly not all that uncommon) that your doctor will not treat you. But usually, mom has to get meds from her doctor and baby from ped.

Are you being treated for the mastitis?

Some other possibilities for swollen nipple causes-

ill fitting pump flange or pumping to long or at too high a setting
    poor latch
    Maybe the bleb lancing caused inflammation or infection? You do mean blebs-milk blisters? Not a friction blister?

Some ideas to try-
    Hand expression of milk to relieve pressure, this may be more comfortable than pumping when nipple is sore,
    cold compress to relieve swelling (heat can increase swelling esp when applied directly to the breasts, although if heat is helping you, you can do that for soaking the blebs or right before expressing (maybe with warm shower or compresses on your back rather than directly on breasts) to help letdown-but cold is being suggested more and more for the breast swelling of mastitis, plugs and engorgement.)
    Vibration for the plug in the breast
    otc anti inflammatory

Can you see a board cert. lact consultant? (IBCLC) This situation sounds pretty painful and concerning to me.

Quick tip sheets
    Mastitis http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf
    plugs and blebs http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf
    hand expression http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

Deleted
    Last edited by @llli*mommymaize; October 24th, 2013 at 01:36 PM.

OK sorry it is so difficult to get helpful/local care! Of course you can keep going this alone and working on it, but if things do not keep improving I really suggest getting help with your other kids for a day and doing all you can to see an IBCLC. (None can come to you? It may be extra charge.) To make it worth your while, I suggest calling a few first and talking with them on the phone so you have an idea of what their experience is and what the appointment will consist of. You want to find someone you feel comfortable with and confident in. You may also try contacting any local LLL or Breastfeeding USA chapter, or any state or local breastfeeding coalition to see if they have any ideas...

I think it's smart to keep taking milk out of the breast frequently, but beware of creating an overproduction situation with too much pumping. Empty breast, lots of rest. That is the prescription for mastitis! Are you getting rest with all those kids momma??? You are sick. Get any help you can!

Here is an article on thrush that includes some otc remedies: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17