Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Temporary Weaning

Default Temporary Weaning

I am getting surgery in a week's time and won't be able to nurse or cosleep for 48 hours afterwards. I am renting a good breast pump to pump and dump, to keep up my supply, and we have formula and lots of solids to give her during that period of time. However I am just looking for advice on dealing with the emotional impact it may have on her since she may feel traumatized as though she's being weaned and refused the breast. She loves nursing and relies on it for comfort, and she loves cosleeping with me also. Any advice?

Default Re: Temporary Weaning

hi mama! how old is your baby? who will she stay with while you're in the hospital? in general - it will be hard but she will be ok! just like for moms who have to go on a business trip.

re: surgery: are you SURE you need to pump and dump? most doctors give extremely conservative recommendations because they don't bother to actually look up the drugs. i highly recommend calling infantrisk.com who will give you individualized advice:

We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

She is 11 months old. The surgeon says that the drugs they give me will go through the breast milk and are not approved for nursing mothers. My husband will be watching her while I am in the hospital.

Hi mama, I agree with auderey about calling infantrisk. I've seen several times now on the forums where mamas have been advised to pump and dump for 48 hours after anesthesia. But one of our mamas is a surgeon and looked into this and found it was unnecessary, see this thread: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...t-moment-today. I would not assume that your surgeon knows anything about breastfeeding. You can find out from him/her exactly which drugs he/she is concerned about and then run it by infantrisk.

In terms of your daughter - yes, she'll miss you when you're not there, and she'll be happy when you're back! I don't think she'll view it as being refused the breast or a weaning type experience, because the breast won't be there. Just have DH make sure to give her plenty of cuddles and kisses.

Good luck with the surgery, hope it all goes well!

I have an arrangement with my sister that we feed each others children if the other cannot do it so they dont have to do without. but not sure how others feel about this

please call infant risk. I am pretty sure your surgeon is being way overly cautious, which is pretty common. Most people do not understand the strain that even temporary weaning can place on mother and child.
    For more on this issue see http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...tionsandbf.pdf
    As far as not co-sleeping, is that because that is the time you will spend in the hospital?
    Will your husband co-sleep with baby? Will you be allowed to have baby visit you in the hospital?
    For during the separation, what about pumping a little milk before going to the hospital so there is some of your milk around for baby to have in a sippy or bottle while you are separated? Having my milk always seemed to calm my kids if I was away at bedtime.

Definitely call InfantRisk. Your surgeon is probably not a lactational pharmacologist. You trust your surgeon to do your surgery, you trust a lactation expert with your nursling. Y'know?

You might want to spend lots of one on one time with your nursling when you come home. And be prepared for her to be confused, to act out, etc. She's just wee and will have some emotions to process.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)