Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So confused...oversupply issues

Default So confused...oversupply issues

This is my second baby, first time nursing. She is now 3.5 months. She is EBF and refuses a bottle or pacifier. It's just me! She is gaining well, no issues there, and she is actually a very happy baby. She rarely cries but does like to be with me or on me 24/7. Not an issue since I stay home.

I think I definitely have OS and OALD. I know I did from weeks 3-about week 10 of her life. Then it tamed itself down, sort of. She started refusing to feed in any position except lying on the bed. Once we started doing that for every feeding, the feedings seemed much more relaxing and less like battles. My baby used to look so much more wound up after a feeding instead of relaxed. It was awful. She'd gag and choke.

So, we have been feeding only in the side lying position for about 6 weeks. Everything seemed to be getting much better. She now refuses the right breast, will only nurse from it 2-3 times per day. The left breast makes much, much more milk and she feeds from that one at every session. I have a feeling that is part of the problem with the OS in the right breast, too much stimulation? It's my theory that the right breast is much slower, and now she likes the fast flow of the crazy breast.

Now she's sleeping a lot during the night, and the right breast is getting engorged. I pumped out just a little to see the letdown, and it looked like the spray from my kitchen sink sprayer! No wonder she only wants to eat lying down.

Her poops are green most of the time, ranging from yellow greenish to dark forest green. She has about 3-5 very mucousy poops/day, plenty of wet diapers.

How can I fix the green mucous poop issue? Is there any way to tame the left breast, now that her preference has probably damaged the production in the right breast? The right breast never, or very rarely gets over full, or even firm. The left breast is almost always full, sometimes very firm, sometimes seems to want to explode.

I don't have leaking, but the letdown sensation is very strong, sometimes hurts a little bit. Sigh. I'm afraid that she'll wean early, or that the mucous poop is somehow damaging to her. Again, as long as we lie down she seems to do just fine, but every time I attempt a sitting position she takes one sip and gags.
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: So confused...oversupply issues

The way to fix lopsidedness is to increase stimulation to and milk removal from the underachieving breast and decrease stimulation/milk removal for the overachiever. This link covers it in more depth: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/lopsided/ It sounds like this is going to be a little difficult for you because your LO is so reluctant to take the right breast. I think you'll need to gently, patiently, and consistently offer it first at every single feeding, and finish all feedings on it if possible. If that isn't enough, you may need to pump it, as well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: So confused...oversupply issues

Thank you, very helpful! I look at kellymom often, somehow missed that article.
    and Mama to two little girls