Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at work and not geting much

Default Pumping at work and not geting much

I am a first time mom and my baby boy is 3 months old, weighing in at 12lbs. 13oz. When given a bottle he takes rougly 6 oz at a feeding, and when I breast feed him which is everytime he is with me he seems to always get enough (I really hate giving hiim formula, would much rather him feed from me and I love the bond). However, I am away from him for 12 hours a day and am forced to pump. I often dont pump enough for even one bottle in a day. How is this possible. I really would like to be able to pump enough to supply his daycare with breastmilk instead of formula. He knows the differnce and makes a face when its not my milk.

Default Re: Pumping at work and not geting much

6 oz, huh? That's a very large amount of milk for a 3 month old baby. Breastfed babies typically take more like 2-4 oz at a time in a bottle. Are your care providers familiar with bottlefeeding breastfed babies? If not, check out this link and discuss it with the daycare: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

How often do you pump and what sort of pump are you using?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would assume his day care is well versed in feeding a breast feed, baby, they never force it but let him choose when he is done. I find i can only pump 2 times in a 12 hour day and i am using a Spectra Hospital grade double pump.

There's slightly more to feeding a breastfed baby that allowing the baby to choose when he's done. The daycare should be doing the following:
    - using slow-flow nipples on the bottles
    - pausing the feeding after every 1-2 oz (it may help to send your milk in smaller portions- for example, a 2-3 oz bottle to be followed by a 1-2 oz "chaser" bottle, which will force the daycare provider to pause the feeding)
    - switching the baby to the other side about halfway through the feeding
    - swapping in a pacifier after about 3-4 oz, and giving baby a real chance with it before reaching for more milk

It's great that you have a hospital-grade pump. It sounds like the problem is likely pumping frequency: 2 pumps in 12 hours is on the low side, when you consider that if you were home with your baby, he'd probably nurse at least every 2-3 hours. I think you either need to pump more often at work, or pump after feedings when you're home with the baby if more pump sessions at work are not possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"