Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at work and not geting much

Default Pumping at work and not geting much

I am a first time mom and my baby boy is 3 months old, weighing in at 12lbs. 13oz. When given a bottle he takes rougly 6 oz at a feeding, and when I breast feed him which is everytime he is with me he seems to always get enough (I really hate giving hiim formula, would much rather him feed from me and I love the bond). However, I am away from him for 12 hours a day and am forced to pump. I often dont pump enough for even one bottle in a day. How is this possible. I really would like to be able to pump enough to supply his daycare with breastmilk instead of yucky formula. He knows the differnce and makes a face when its not my milk.

Default Re: Pumping at work and not geting much

What kind of pump are you using and is it new or used? Is pumping comfortable for you? How often do you pump and how much do you get each time?

6 ounces is a little on the high side for an individual bottle. I suggest you share this with baby's caregiver:http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Also in order to keep up good milk production after going back to work, it is usually helpful to nurse frequently when with baby, including some overnight feeds, and to nurse as much as you can on any days off.

Default Re: Pumping at work and not geting much

When you say 6oz are you referring to breastmilk or formula...since, you mentioned that he also takes formula?

For breastmilk, 6oz is definitely on the high side. Average intake when away from baby is 1-1.5oz per hour. So you're looking at 12oz or so, (around 4, 3oz bottles for the 12hrs you are away.)

As for pump--you should have a double electric pump and hands free bra, drink plenty of water, pump every 3-4hrs and do breast compressions.

Can you share your routine? What kind of pump, how often are you pumping etc... It can help to determine why your output is low