Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much water

Default How much water

Rougly how much water should I be drinking in a day to keep up good production, I work for a very busy company and find myself for getting to drink water and I know if I have an amount in mind I will be better at drinking that amount.

Default Re: How much water

Generally we just say drink to thirst. Your milk supply won't be affected unless you get extremely dehydrated.

But yes, it can be hard to remember to drink water or even notice that you're thirsty when you're really busy. Some moms find it helpful to fill a container of water at the beginning of the day (perhaps 32 oz or 1 liter) and keep it on hand to remind them to drink it.

You could experiment to see how much water is the right amount for you in a day. You don't need to force fluids to maintain your milk supply.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I agree with Karen...what if you tried keeping a water bottle close by so whenever you feel even a little thirsty, you take a sip. Maybe buy or make a bottle holder you can wear over your shoulder if you are running around a lot.

generally the hydration guideline is if your urine is clear or almost clear, and not very smelly, then you're hydrated enough!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I read somewhere that we should be drinking 4 liters a day but man that is way too much!! I tried it and it didnt work. I switch to just having a water bottle handy in the fridge for whenever I am thristy.
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!