Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will nipples be sore no matter what in the beginning?

Default Re: Will nipples be sore no matter what in the beginning?

I was never sore and I had a newborn who nursed 15-18X a day in the beginning. A good latch will help prevent some soreness but as PPs have said, it is largely individual. Either way you'll get through it. Just take each day at a time and expect there will be SOME difficulties in those first weeks. BF is hard work but well worth it!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Quote Originally Posted by Mayas+LilPumpkinsMommy View Post
    My nipple were never sore! The only time I ever had pain was when we had darn thrush! So I think it just depends.
    Must be nice to be you... j/k. Consider yourself very lucky that you did not have that pain! I'm jealous!

My LO is 6 weeks today and I still wear breast shells so that nothing touches my nipples. Today I wore breast pads because we had the family over for Thanksgiving and I didn't want torpedo breasts as they seem to look with breast shells...And just that short time of having something rubbing against me made me hurt all evening. And again, I am pale skinned, freckles etc...soI am super sensitive anyway.

It will get better though - I promise!!

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I had nipple pain for about the first 3 weeks. Very sensitive nipples in general, anyway. Just work through it if it happens to you; it does get better.

My nipples have never been sore with the exception of a few times in the beginning due to a bad latch.

If breastfeeding is done properly, it shouldn't hurt. Some mothers do find that their nipples are uncomfortable or sensitive in the very beginning. Some will describe pain with latch-on that disappears after 15-30 seconds. However, if it's extremely painful, painful throughout the whole nursing session, or if there is nipple trauma (cracking/bruising/bleeding), then the latch needs to be checked.

Hope that answers your question!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

From everything I've read it really depends on the woman... I didn't experience any pain or tenderness until my little one got his first tooth. In the beginning there was definitely some sensitivity I recommend soft shirts, comfortable bras, and letting your nipples air dry.

Mine were sore in the beginning, even with a good latch. They toughened up with time though...have not had any pain in a long while.