Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will nipples be sore no matter what in the beginning?

Default Will nipples be sore no matter what in the beginning?

Even with a good latch is it expected that nipples will be sore the first weeks since it's the only time in one's life when they'll be used so often?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Will nipples be sore no matter what in the beginning?

My SIL had a baby in September, and said she wasn't sore at all.

I think it depends on the mother. I have very sensitive nipples in the first place and have never enjoyed nipple stimulation, so I expected to be sore for the first little while.

I hoped to not be sore again with this new baby, after nursing my first for 22 months, but I was, excruciatingly so.

Colton had a perfect latch at birth, and I was very careful to monitor his latch and not let him develop bad habits, but I still got very chapped, even with Nipple Butter and Lansinoh in combination with fabric and wool nursing pads. In fact, my nipples peeled It never hurt more than about 20-30 seconds, but that was enough to make me sore. But I have really sensitive skin anyway.

But after a week, they were fine, other than a brief moment of "ouch" when he latches on.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

With my first, I was very lucky, I didn't have sore nipples. Actually there was no pain at all. This time they got very sore because he had a poor latch. It's very important to make sure there is a good latch.

I agree with the pposters... if you need help ask for it in a hurry.Even in the hospital if need be! Go to a few lll meetings and ask some of the other moms what a good latch looks like. So that when your baby comes you'll know right away.
    Stay away from bottles in the hosptial! IF your baby needs a supliment get them to use a differnt way then a bottle. Read the womaly art of breastfeeding. It will teach you all about breastfeeding, and how to figure out if your getting wise advice or junk advice from nurses or doctors.
    Doctors get very little training in breastfeeding so some just don't know what they should about babies and moms.
    Ask here too any questions you have! The more you know the more prepared you'll be when your baby comes. No question is to little or dumb.
    the number one thing I think you can do is nurse alot, if you can keep from getting very engoarged that will help the babies latch and you'll have less pain.
    you also can take what ever your doctor says to take for pain. I did alive with my last baby.

Mine were not sore in the first few days even though they were dry and kind of cracking, I used lansinoh to heal up the dryness, but when my milk came in my breasts were so full and "tight" that my ds had a hard time getting a good deep latch and withhin just a few nursings, I could feel the pain, so I instantly began working on getting a good deep latch and in just a few more feedings the soreness was gone. I think the first thing to do if you are feeling sore is to look to latch, that is usually the culprit. Lansinoh does wonders too!

My nipple were never sore! The only time I ever had pain was when we had darn thrush! So I think it just depends.

I haven't had any pain at all- just acute sensitivity to shower spray and rough fabric. Truth be told I spend alot of time bare breasting it in the house
    but in answer to your question I believe you can assume that your experience will fall somewhere in the middle of everyone else's. We are truely all different- but connected.

this is my first baby and so far i have only had one instant of a sore nipple and that was because he wasn't latching properly and that was my fault cos i wasn't holding him properly.