Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Want to wean off formula supplements and increase my supply

Default Want to wean off formula supplements and increase my supply

Hello all,

This is my first post. My son is 11 weeks old and was EBF for the first 6 weeks until I started to worry that my son wasn't getting enough milk and I started to give him a small amount of formula supplement at night. Unfortunately, this has started to snowball and has gone from 2 oz. of formula a day to 6-8 oz. a day. I believe that with my return to work (only 2 days per week right now) and supplementing, my
    supply has decreased. I'm so upset about how quickly this has gotten out of control. I desperately want to breastfeed him and only give him breast milk when I am out of the house. One of the things I know I need to do is make sure I am pumping enough while I'm out of the house on the two days I work.

I usually wake up between 5-6 am and nurse my son. I leave for work at 7 am. I pump with a new Medela pump-in-style advanced between 10:30 and 11 and I can usually get between 3-4 oz. total at that time. Then I get home at around 2:30 and nurse my son at that time. I'm starting to think it's not enough. If I add a pumping session while driving to work in the morning, will that be sufficient?

Thanks for reading!

Default Re: Want to wean off formula supplements and increase my sup

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

This link covers the basics of weaning from formula: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/ You want to gradually decrease the amount of formula you're offering, nursing more, and pumping more (if possible). The more stimulation you give your body via nursing and pumping, the faster you'll be able to ditch the formula.

Your pump output is actually quite good. The only issue I see is with your pump frequency, which is on the low end. If you were home with your baby, he'd probably nurse every 1-3 hours, so you're looking to get closer to that frequency when pumping. I think I'd try to squeeze in one more session at work, at least! Adding a session while driving to work will definitely be helpful. But I can't promise you that it will be sufficient. Every mom responds differently to pumping, and what works for you is going to be as individual as you are.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"