Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long to dry up?

Default How long to dry up?

Hey Ladies,
    First of all thank you all so much for helping me get through over 20 months of nursing my LO. Unfortunately, contrary to popular belief, the nursing is having a strong adverse affect on the relationship w/ daddy (DH), so I have decided to stop. It's been nearly a week and the relationship with dad has already started to improve and hasn't asked to nurse for 3 days now. I went cold turkey per the pediatrician's recommendation. Before that she was down to about 3 nursings a day. How long can I expect it to take to dry up? So far I have not had any engorgement problems. Do you have any recommendations on how to help speed it along? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: How long to dry up?

The time from complete weaning to completely drying up is very individual. Some moms will continue to see a small amount of milk for weeks, months, or even years after weaning. This is not generally a problem- most moms notice the milk only if they try to express it.

Drinking peppermint or sage tea is supposed to help decrease supply. I'd try that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You could try cabbage leaves too - directly on the breast.

Thanks ladies. I thought cabbage leaves were just for engorgement relief. I will have to try the peppermint & sage for sure. Thanks.

Well, in the case of engorgement, you are trying to "dry up" a bit too. So either way it works to decrease supply.