Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Probably teething (?), won't nurse today

Default Probably teething (?), won't nurse today

Hello,
    My 4 1/2 month old gets extremely upset (screaming, tears, arching backwards) today when I try to put him to the breast. I finally gave him some infant Tylenol which seemed to help (he did nurse once, I haven't gotten him to do it again...that was 1.5 hrs ago and he is sleeping now). He seems generally fussy when put on his side or back, and is happier upright. Any ideas on how to get him to nurse through this? He is lean anyway and I'm scared he's going to skip feedings and start going backwards on weight. Oh, and he won't take bottles or a pacifier.

Default Re: Probably teething (?), won't nurse today

Oh gosh, he must be miserable! Are you sure it's teeth? Pain that improves when upright and is worse when lying down or side-lying is sometimes the ears.

If you can nurse him in upright positions, do that. And keep a humidifier going (in case he has some congestion), and stay patient. Eventually he's going to get hungry enough that he'll eat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Probably teething (?), won't nurse today

I'm watching for signs of ear trouble. He hasn't had a wet diaper in several hours now...I'm worried he is dehydrated. He is nursing right now, though! Fingers crossed this isn't a fluke.