Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I know when I've drained one breast?

Default How do I know when I've drained one breast?

I was advised that I should drain one breast before offering the second breast but I'm not sure when I've gotten it all out on one breast because if I squeeze there's always a little that still comes out. How do I know if my newborn has gotten to the hind milk? It's not like I can see the color like that article suggested that is posted here. And is it not good to do one breast at a time for feedings? What can this cause? Please help.

Default Re: How do I know when I've drained one breast?

I have to admit I have not read to posted article in some time. I will have to check it out. If there is some suggestion that moms need to look at their milk to see if it is hindmilk or not, that is a problem as that is certainly not the case.

Besides the article, is there some particular reason you are concerned about this? Some people think baby is not getting enough hindmilk if baby not gaining well, for example.

generally, though, you don't have to worry at all about making sure your baby gets hindmilk, nor do you need to be concerned about if baby is 'empting the breast." All your milk is good and the breast is never really empty because your body is always making milk.

What is important in the early weeks and months is to nurse frequently overall-at least 10-12 times a 24 hour day. If baby stops, pauses, or otherwise seems finished on one side, you can offer the other or the same one again as you choose. One breast at a time per feeding is fine, two is fine, going back and forth a few times is fine, as long as you are following your baby's lead and baby is gaining as baby should.

Good question! I was wondering the same thing. Thanks lllmeg for the info
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

I've read on Dr. Newman's site that one way to know when to switch is that baby is no longer swallowing (not just sucking, but swallowing) even with compressions. Of course it's fine for baby to comfort nurse, but if baby isn't coming off that side and you're wondering if you should offer the other, that might be a good time to offer.