Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and starting solids.

Default Breastfeeding and starting solids.

Hi!

I know that this is a "big" question and there is a lot of advice out there. Nonetheless I really wanted to get your guidance.

My goal is to breastfeed my LO (now six months old) for at least two years. She is about ready to start solids. What is the best way to start? Looking for general guidance since I am a little bit lost in the muck with all the different advice out there.

I am interested in doing baby led weaning (combined with some purees) and am also a bit confused on how to start that. Guess I am looking for some simple guidelines.

Very curious as to your thoughts and opinions.

Thank you!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and starting solids.

The best way to start is slow. Until around 12 months, a baby is capable of getting all her nutritional needs met at the breast. So you offer small quantities of solids at first- think a teaspoon or two- once or twice a day, and only after the baby has nursed, since your goal is to maximize the baby's intake of breastmilk, and to have solids complement, but not replace, breastmilk in your baby's diet. As the baby starts with solids, do not be surprised if she eats very little. At first, solids are a game and a learning experience, not really a nutritional one. Baby may eat the solids you give her, or she may taste them and spit them out, or she may prefer to explore them with her hands (messy!).

Good starter foods for beginning self-feeders:
    Cheerios (fun for pincer grip practice, dissolve in baby's mouth)
    Mashed steamed vegetables and mashed soft fruits
    Whole peeled apples (this is all about taste, unless your baby happens to have front teeth and can scrape off bits)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We did organic puffs instead of Cheerios... We thought Cheerios were too hard for baby to gum/chew. Also, my LO loves avocado, cut in small pieces that she can grab and eat. I tried also some sweet potatoes cooked very soft. Other than that, we puréed everything else and tried to feed the baby.

But as mommal says, don't expect your LO to eat a whole lot at the beginning. It's mostly for fun and exploring new textures.

We started experimenting with solids around 7 months--baby was showing a LOT of interest in the food on our plates

I completely over-thought the whole process--how much should I give? What should I feed him? Self-led or puréed? I drove myself crazy!

In the end I just went with the flow--gave him little bites of what I was already eating and did a mix of puréed and small bites. He was slow to the take at first and liked to play with it more than eat. Now he's 8 months and will eat anything I put in front of him; sweet potato, pears, peaches, berries, poached (unseasoned) chicken, even some salmon!

I would try to just get some basics (sweet potato, applesauce, butternut squash, avocado) and start introducing little bits after lunch and then again when you eat dinner (depending on when bedtime is) after your usual nursing session. See what he likes and go from there. Like Mommal said, it's not necessary for them to eat solids so just have fun with it ad get him used to different tastes !

Keep an eye on his sleeping pattern since his stomach might be upset and avoid feeding too close to bedtime.
    I also didn't keep to the "3-day rule" because there is no history of food allergy on either side but it might make you feel more comfortable to introduce one food at a time.

Good luck!

We have introduced solids for three kids now, (just getting started with number three, now 8 months) using different 'techniques' each time, and I am just as clueless as when we started. But for what it's worth, I suggest
    watch your child and follow their lead. Every baby will take to solids in their own way and in their own time.
    Remember baby is getting nutritional needs met via breastmilk. Solids truly are just for fun and NOT nutritionally relevant for many months yet.
    Your baby WILL play with the food no matter how it is offered or what form it is in. This is how baby learns. But it's a gigantic mess.
    Be prepared for 99.9% of food offered to end up somewhere besides baby's tummy for the first several weeks, at least.
    Don't spend ages making special foods for baby, as the longer you work on it, the less likely they will actually eat it. But do offer a reasonable variety of foods.

I HEART BLW. I recommend you get a copy of Gill Rapley's book "Baby led Weaning". It's pretty much the reference manual for what is sometimes called Baby led solids. I started without reading the book, just going on what I read on forums. Initially, LO wasn't really eating anything so I was on the fence about it and considering just going the traditional route and giving purees until I read the book. That's when I *got* it. Honestly, I can't say enough good things about just going for it! It is AMAZING to watch your LO figure out how to feed him/herself and the faces they make as they try different things. SO much fun.

There is a forum here on Nutrution where a lot of people are familiar with BLW/BLS, so I suggest you start there!