Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Two day old baby

Default Two day old baby

My newborn has been feeding great for two days then all of a sudden in the last six hours, she's refusing to latch and has gotten really fussy. See also is having bad gas that smells strong like sulfer.

We'll be visiting our lactation consultant tomorrow but any advice to help us out in the meantime would be great. Hearing her scream is just breaking my heart!

Default Re: Two day old baby

Welcome to the forum!

This link talks about how to get a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ The instant reward and skin-to-skin techniques are supposed to be especially helpful.

Is baby getting any bottles or pacifiers?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Don't Panic. 6hours of not latching is not that big a deal. Just continue to offer and DO NOT freak out and think it means she needs formula. So she has been fussy for 6hours. When having period like this the child will still usually latch when sleepy or while sleeping. Have you tried that?

Way too lazy for formula

Are your breasts feeling very full or engorged? This sometimes happens when milk production begins to ramp up and this can make it harder for baby to latch. The answer is to keep gently encoraging baby to nurse as pps suggest. maybe hand express a little to soften the breast, or try reverse pressure softening as described here http://www.llli.org/faq/engorgement.html

Don't worry about smelly gas. Has baby pooped since birth?