Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How/When do LOs drop nursing sessions once solids pick up?

Default How/When do LOs drop nursing sessions once solids pick up?

DD is 8.5 months old and has been eating more substantial meals for the past 2-3 weeks (we started BLW at 6.5 months). Because our nursing sessions are down to a routine, she only really ASKS to nurse when she's teething/not feeling well/wanting extra comfort. So how do I know when she's ready to drop a session, as solids gain importance? I know that's not necessarily right away, I'm just wondering how it will work.

Default Re: How/When do LOs drop nursing sessions once solids pick u

Hi mama, don't drop sessions until she's at least a year old. Breastmilk is the primary form of nutrition until that point. I would also nurse before solids before a year.

Mine is a year old now, but I haven't started giving him cow's milk yet. I haven't counted, but I think he probably nurses just as often as ever. Only the nursing sessions are generally shorter, particularly after a solids meal. Nursing after meals is more for the fluids now (he doesn't drink water or juice either except when he's with another caregiver like DH or my MIL). He does still cluster-nurse at night before I put him down for bed, and will nurse once or twice in the early morning (between 2 and 7) before we all get up for the day.
    Last edited by @llli*pianosinger; March 28th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

If memory serves me correctly, DS just stopped asking as much after about 19 months or so. Be sure that you aren't replacing nursing sessions as a PP pointed out..at this time, solids are only for learning. We offered solids after nursing for one meal, then at some point we increased it to after 2 sessions (to time with lunch and dinner). I think that was around 10 months or so. By a year, he was eating 3 meals with us, but it was minimal. He still nursed all night long and was typical with on/off eating.

Don't stress about solids, as your baby gets older and tries new foods she will most likely tell you what she wants (in her own way of course)
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Thanks for all the input, it's helpful. I really started to wonder because her daycare (she goes 2x/week) was only giving her 2 bottles when I would have fed her 3x. she was going was seemed to me like a really long time between bottles and it made me wonder who was right. I recently insisted they offer the third bottle. Your responses have reassured me that I did the right thing.