Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP!!

Default HELP!!

My son is 6 months old and has been doing great with the whole breastfeeding thing. Recently my doctor put me on birth control that he said wouldn't effect my supply but it did. My son now gets angry when he eats and i used to be able to pump and store about 5 oz a day but now can maybe get 1oz... Ive stopped the birth control and started taking fenugreek, im pumping and feeding him more often but no change...what else do i do??

Default Re: HELP!!

Welcome to the forum!

The pumping you were doing- was it at work, or was this something you were doing at home, in addition to nursing the baby?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

At home, in addition to nursing him.

Okay, that's good! Since you're home with baby, I think the only thing you really need to do is to stay of the birth control and feed on demand. You might experience a few days of fussiness while baby boosts your supply and gets used to nursing a little more assertively than usual, but you're not going to be looking at some long-term deficit. Don't fall into the "he's not satisfied, so I'll give a bottle" trap- it's the frequent and complete emptying of the breast by the nursing baby that will be the best thing for your supply. The fussiness is a small price to pay.

Pumping 5 oz in addition to nursing means you were making quite a bit more milk than your baby needed- an entire feeding's worth, since a breastfed baby typically takes just 2-4 oz at a time. It's pretty common for a nursing mom who is home with her baby to be unable to pump more than an oz or two at a time. When supply and demand are well-matched, getting that extra milk takes a lot of time and effort!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks!