Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply, comfort nursing, no sleep

Default Oversupply, comfort nursing, no sleep

Hello ladies!

My DS is a little over 3 weeks old and is a major comfort nurser. Not that I mind... but I also have oversupply (which I've had before so I know how to battle). So the issue is, my DS wants to comort nurse (mostly at night) but I have way to much milk to allow him to do that. I would literally have to let him nurse from one breast all day so that it's drained enough at night for him to comfort nurse, or pump just a little to help him out (which I know doesn't help the oversupply). If I don't, he keeps nursing until he spits up and vomits (like several ounces). It doesn't bother him, and therefore doesn't bother me. He's happy and gaining weight, so I know it's just a laundry issue... still frustrating though!!

We bed share and when he nurses at night, he's a fussy nurser (probably because he just wants to suckle, but is drowned instead). So he keeps me up all night. He cries if he's not sleeping with me, but when he does sleep with me, he wants to nurse every 1-2 hours but fusses so much that it keeps me awake.

Any suggestions to make things easier on us? I'm sure my supply will regulate and things will work out eventually, but till then I'd like to sleep! Sleeping when the baby sleeps isn't an option. I have a 24m old and 13m old I still need to wake up and take care of.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Oversupply, comfort nursing, no sleep

Yeah, sleeping when the baby sleeps is something that only works with your first baby, or with your second, third, etc. if you have help around the house. Otherwise, what are you supposed to do- nap with the newborn while the older kids destroy the house and possibly themselves?

What are you doing in terms of positioning to help baby cope with the fast flow? Are you using reclined positions?

And where does the newborn sleep at night? With you? Are you able to nurse in side-lying positions?

Will baby take a pacifier? At 3 weeks, you can usually introduce one without messing up breastfeeding, and maybe if baby would take one at night you could swap that for the breast and he might sleep better. Or he might not- you're an experienced mom so you know that there are a zillion reasons why babies fuss and what you think is causing the fussiness might not be the real reason.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

during the day, we do the cross cradle hold. I need a hand to hold his head and another head to position my breast. It's hard to do laid back breastfeeding because the other 2 kids find that quite inviting At night, the baby is in the bed with me and we nurse in the side lying position.

He won't take a pacifier (or at least willingly). It makes him gag, especially when I try to give it to him. My husband has better success.

I'm hoping it'll pass soon!!

Gosh, I wish there were something that stood out to me as a potential venue for change... But it seems like you may just need to wait this one out.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've just had a similar problem with my son...it seemed like a vicious circle of too much milk and comfort sucking...producing even more milk and more gagging and spewing. He seemed to do better when we tried him sleeping with his dad instead of me. He's 8weeks now: my supply seems to have settled down in the last 10 days and he's going 4 hours between feeds at night (but eating all day to make up for it!). And he now settles in his own bed for the first half of the night. Could be something we did...or maybe just the passage of time?! :-)