Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hour 30 -- plugged duct! Help!

Default Hour 30 -- plugged duct! Help!

4:23 a.m. and I could use some advice please! I've done absolutely every recommendation, vigorously, repeatedly, to no avail (including getting DH involved in a manner I considered a measure of last resort). No bleb that I can see (and lance), breast isn't rock hard (??), tender and takes up 45% of the inner side of my left breast, not awfully painful per say. Did have a bleb last week that resolved with lancing. Was sick with a cold, as was baby (congested with less suck). Now what?? Can a family practice doctor help? Would a hospital grade pump help? I'm at a loss and concerned about mastitis (which I've not had before).

Lecithin, Vitamin C, ibuprofin, liquids, heat, shower, message, gravity, baby latch adjustment, pumping, pressing, etc. Everything multiple times for hours. It does seem to temporarily soften somewhat in the shower or after I nurse. Odd, as it seems to me it should be all or nothing. And I don't leak in the shower, so why / how does it ease slightly? Please please help!!
    Last edited by @llli*kmhp; March 24th, 2013 at 05:17 AM.
    *Sweet baby girl born November 2011*

Default Re: Hour 30 -- plugged duct! Help!

Okay, if it softens somewhat after the shower or nursing, then it's probably not completely plugged. You know when you have a slow drain in your house, one that let's the water down but it takes a while? It's like that.

Keep doing what you're doing, and stay alert for signs of mastitis (fever, chills, red streaks or patches on the skin of the breast, pus discharge). If you see any of those, see the doc for antibiotics. A hospital-grade pump might help, but since you have some flow and the pain isn't extreme I don't think you need to go there yet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmhp View Post
    4:23 a.m. and I could use some advice please! I've done absolutely every recommendation, vigorously, repeatedly, to no avail (including getting DH involved in a manner I considered a measure of last resort). No bleb that I can see (and lance), breast isn't rock hard (??), tender and takes up 45% of the inner side of my left breast, not awfully painful per say. Did have a bleb last week that resolved with lancing. Was sick with a cold, as was baby (congested with less suck). Now what?? Can a family practice doctor help? Would a hospital grade pump help? I'm at a loss and concerned about mastitis (which I've not had before).

Lecithin, Vitamin C, ibuprofin, liquids, heat, shower, message, gravity, baby latch adjustment, pumping, pressing, etc. Everything multiple times for hours. It does seem to temporarily soften somewhat in the shower or after I nurse. Odd, as it seems to me it should be all or nothing. And I don't leak in the shower, so why / how does it ease slightly? Please please help!!
    I've only once been headed down this path and I used heat, including a heating pad, and nursed as much as possible. The nursing seemed to be the key. If baby is congested can you clear his or her nose at all? The pump seems worth trying, although nursing gave me far more life than pumping. At the time however I was not yet using a hospital grade pump. Hope you are able to resolve!
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Thanks, Ladies. Will keep at it. I'd love baby to do her magic! Hopefully her nose will improve more today. I so appreciate your help. I've never had a "slow drain" before. Seems to make sense.

I exclusively pump because my DS refuses to latch on right and causes me nipple pain, cracks, and bleeding (will hopefully be seeing LC next week). Anyway....when I get a plugged duct or engorgement that won't go away with a few pumping sessions then I put my DS to my breast. I deal with the nipple pain because he drains my breast the BEST!
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

When I had mastitis baby solved it by nursing (and lots of rest). When I had a plugged duct, more recently, baby was not getting rid of it. I got rid of it by lots of hand expressing in the shower, specificially pressing where the plug was and massaging toward my nipple. Yellowy gunk was coming out of my nipple. Finally that got rid of the plug.

YES! Hand expressing also helps!!
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

Have you tried vibration to break up the plug (electric toothbrush, personal massager?)

Thank you all so much for your helpful input!

Yes to all ultrasonic appliances applied to the breast + a brand new massager I bought yesterday for the occasion. I've left it alone today except for putting baby on it first and often. I'm wondering if I abused my boob yesterday with my heroic efforts; since baby couldn't suck it out well with her congestion (and I'm not a prolific pump producer or an adept hand expresser), perhaps I loosened the block and never really knew it. (I usually know.). And then I kept going, trying and trying (because I usually know!). I'm wondering if my breast is sore and the softish lump is inflammation from the man-handling all day. In times past, I've always known immediately when it resolved. Anyway, I'm watching carefully. Again, thank you ALL!!