Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump fatigue (just a vent)

Default pump fatigue (just a vent)

Anyone else get really tired of the pump? It's getting to be such a drag. And I know I really shouldn't complain because I have my own office with a door, and my coworkers & boss are understanding and accommodating, and I am SO GRATEFUL for all of that. But the pump itself? I'm just over it. Fitting in 3 pump sessions every work day ... having to arrive late or leave meetings early to go sit at the machine ... skipping professional development and training opportunities because the logistics of pumping wouldn't work or just aren't worth the hassle ... and washing pump parts every day ... just blah. Don't get me wrong, it's totally worth it to keep breastfeeding, and I'm grateful that I only have to pump during work day separations and not more often like some moms do. I'll keep at it until LO starts weening ... I am fully committed to continuing to breastfeed to 1 year and probably after, especially since LO is 10 mos and has almost no interest in solids (not even as a sensory play experience), so I'm taking my cues from him. So I'll keep pumping 3x/work day like always so that he has BM for daycare. And I know solids are a developmental process and I'm not trying to rush him ... but sometimes I just wish he would be developmentally ready already! (That's just a wish, I'm not pushing -- but a girl can dream, right). I don't expect any advice or solutions here -- I just needed to vent in a place where no one would say "Why don't you just give him formula?"

Default Re: pump fatigue (just a vent)

Hi mama, believe me, I hear you! I'm desperately trying to wean myself from the pump - my LO just turned a year old and I am definitely over it as well! It's a huge pain in the butt. But like you say, you gotta do what you gotta do, and it's so worth it to be able to EBF. It's awesome you've made it 10 months, the next two months are going to fly by, and then you can start thinking about pump weaning. Hang in there!

I know you're just venting so maybe the last thing you are looking for is for people to offer up solutions to your woes, BUT, I just have to put this out there... I finally wound up with FIVE sets of parts for my pump and it has changed everything! I already had two spare sets from pumping in the hospital and then I had bought two more sets when I forgot to bring them with me to work on two different days. So with the set that came with my pump, I have 5 and I never again have to wash pump parts on a weeknight. I just give them a rinse when I get home and throw them in a tub and wash them all on the weekend. Unexpectedly, the best part of this setup is not the time I don't spend at the kitchen sink at night, it is that I don't have to bring parts with me to work on a daily basis. On MOnday morning I lug my pump and the whole week's worth of parts into my office. It has made both my evenings and mornings SO much smoother because I am not thinking about washing pump parts in the evening and it's one less thing I have to get out the door with in the morning. It's definitely taken away a lot of the burden of pumping for me.

Are you planning to pump after 1 year? No judgement here, I'm just asking because my DD is about the same age as your son and I had planned not to pump after a year but keep breastfeeding when we're together. But I'm not sure if I want her to go all day without breast milk. I guess in a couple of months we can reevaulate but for now I don't see myself stopping pumping anytime soon either. As much as I loathe it!!!!

Hang in there. You're doing so great!!

I had to do a ton of pumping when my DD1 was brand-new, and I have to say that the day I returned the hospital-grade pump to the LC was an extremely good day! Being free of that swish-slurp-swish-slurp-swish-slurp sound was very freeing. Not to mention all the washing and drying and reassembling and bottles!

The day you pump-wean, take yourself out for something awesome. You'll have earned it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Boy do I hear you on that and I'm only 3 weeks back to work! Lugging it back and forth sucks and the interruption during the day usually sucks, but sometimes I welcome the break from my desk. But breastfeeding is important to me, so I keep on truckin'.

Thanks for the camaraderie ladies. Glad I'm not alone with my pump fatigue!

@Sprocket, re. your tip to buy multiple pump part sets ... would be a fantastic idea! Wish I had thought of it 8 months ago :P Why do the most obvious solutions not occur to me?! But now I'm setting my sights on cutting back on the pump in a few months (fingers crossed!) so I will probably just deal with it until then. In answer to your question about whether I plan to pump past 1 year ... I would love to pump wean (or start the process) at that point, but I am not sure if I can if LO still isn't doing solids. If he's still going to be on an all-milk diet, I'd rather it be my milk. I also worry about how he will take to cow's milk, given that he pretty much rejects everything but breastmilk. So I'm not really sure what's possible. Do I know it's time to pump wean when he starts accepting some solids? Or do I just plan to start pump weaning at 1 year and push solids harder at that point?
    Last edited by @llli*mercystreet; March 21st, 2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added more questions

As far as deciding when to pump wean, I remember angsting over it much the way that you are now. But my DS did eat some solids, just not a lot. If your child is still eating basically no solids at 12 months, unfortunately I don't think you can pump wean unless you're willing to replace your milk with cow's milk or formula. My guess, though, is your child will start eating some solids over the next couple of months. My son 'played' with his food a lot from 7 or 8 months but didn't start eating a substantial amount until 13-14 months and my understanding is that's not unusual. I was reluctant to pump wean until he started eating more solids so I pumped once a day until he was 14.5 months. That one session would yield me 6 or 7 ounces of milk which is about as much as my son was drinking anyway. At some point, I think around 13 months, I asked my mom (who watches DS during the day) to start offering solids first, and a bottle only if he didn't seem satisfied after the solids. She was able to get him off the bottles altogether over 2 or 3 weeks and once that was going well I just stopped pumping. We never did introduce cow's milk, because DS was a bit anemic and the pediatrician recommended limiting cow's milk, so DS just eats solids during the day while I'm gone and nurses as much as he wants while I'm home. So that was our journey to pump weaning. It looks a bit different for everyone. You don't necessarily have to wait till your LO is eating lots of solids before you can begin pump weaning--he may decide to ramp up his solids once the milk is no longer an option--but if he isn't taking any solids AT ALL, you probably can't pump wean yet unless you're willing to substitute cow's milk or formula. He needs to be eating some solids before you pump wean. Keep in mind, a lot may change between 10 and 12 months. Many babies don't take much solids at 9 or 10 months but become enthusiastic eaters by 12-15 months. Hope that helps!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Ugh, I'm with you. I only work part time and pumping is a huge hassle. Other people just don't get why it's so annoying sometimes.

Luckily, my boyfriend just bought me extra pump parts, and that has been a major relief! That's definitely worth looking into, as it can be a huge time saver.

And I really loathe when people immediately start to bring up formula just because I want to vent about pumping, especially when they know how important breastfeeding is to me and how much I struggled to get as good at nursing as I am today.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mercystreet View Post
    Thanks for the camaraderie ladies. Glad I'm not alone with my pump fatigue!

@Sprocket, re. your tip to buy multiple pump part sets ... would be a fantastic idea! Wish I had thought of it 8 months ago :P Why do the most obvious solutions not occur to me?! But now I'm setting my sights on cutting back on the pump in a few months (fingers crossed!) so I will probably just deal with it until then. In answer to your question about whether I plan to pump past 1 year ... I would love to pump wean (or start the process) at that point, but I am not sure if I can if LO still isn't doing solids. If he's still going to be on an all-milk diet, I'd rather it be my milk. I also worry about how he will take to cow's milk, given that he pretty much rejects everything but breastmilk. So I'm not really sure what's possible. Do I know it's time to pump wean when he starts accepting some solids? Or do I just plan to start pump weaning at 1 year and push solids harder at that point?
    Listen, I wish I had thought of it months ago, too!!! Believe me! It would have saved me a lot of angst early on.

I want to also say that my DD ate almost no solids for quite a while after we "introduced" them, and then, over only a couple of weeks, she ramped WAY up very quickly on her solids consumption. We had every intention of introducing solids in a very gradual way (and to be not pushy about it, like you're being, which I think is good), but she seemed to just wake up one morning and decide that she was going to sit down at every meal and feed herself pretty significant quantities of a whole variety of foods. At first we were quite shocked at how much she ate, it was that dramatic of a change. So I would not be surprised if your son goes from having almost no interest in solids to eating 3 square meals a day and deriving a lot of nourishment from them in a fairly short amount of time. It might not happen right away, but even if he's 10 mos now and has no interest in solids, I would not assume that it will be a problem to pump wean at around a year. As I am sure you know, a lot can change with these little people even from week to week! He definitely won't be on an all-milk diet forever!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mercystreet View Post
    Anyone else get really tired of the pump? It's getting to be such a drag. And I know I really shouldn't complain because I have my own office with a door, and my coworkers & boss are understanding and accommodating, and I am SO GRATEFUL for all of that. But the pump itself? I'm just over it. Fitting in 3 pump sessions every work day ... having to arrive late or leave meetings early to go sit at the machine ... skipping professional development and training opportunities because the logistics of pumping wouldn't work or just aren't worth the hassle ... and washing pump parts every day ... just blah. Don't get me wrong, it's totally worth it to keep breastfeeding, and I'm grateful that I only have to pump during work day separations and not more often like some moms do. I'll keep at it until LO starts weening ... I am fully committed to continuing to breastfeed to 1 year and probably after, especially since LO is 10 mos and has almost no interest in solids (not even as a sensory play experience), so I'm taking my cues from him. So I'll keep pumping 3x/work day like always so that he has BM for daycare. And I know solids are a developmental process and I'm not trying to rush him ... but sometimes I just wish he would be developmentally ready already! (That's just a wish, I'm not pushing -- but a girl can dream, right). I don't expect any advice or solutions here -- I just needed to vent in a place where no one would say "Why don't you just give him formula?"
    Yes, definitely, I get tired of it too. My dd is 8 mos and I've been lugging a hospital grade pump since Nov. Add a laptop and office parking that isn't super close and it takes a toll. At my Clients' office campus we actually have to park in an overflow lot and take a shuttle, which is like a commercial size minivan. If there's a full load of passengers I can end up in the last row, ducking my head trying to lug my backpack with the pump, my laptop bag and my insulated case past the others to the back row. Like yours, mine's not interested in solids - though I still give her things to try, BLS style. I seriously doubt I will be doing weaning of any sort at a year. Right now I feel like I'm ok to follow her cues and meet her needs. I too am grateful that both my office and my Clients' office campus there are designated pumping rooms.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12