Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding and antidepressants

Default breastfeeding and antidepressants

Hello

I have been nursing my boy for 8 months now but have been suffering quite badly with depression, i've started to consider medication now as its just getting worse not better and its not fair on my family, plus i worry it will rub off on my boy and cause behavioural problems later ?
    I have read up on taking antidepressants but still alittle unsure and again i worry quite badly about effects on my boy. You always hear about certain things such as caffeine, sugar, certain foods causing upset to the baby so this is another thing that concerns me. It actually makes me think that formula feeding might be healthier and easier!! With formula he wont get brain development issues because of caffeine and sugar and alcohol etc. Not saying they do cause that but you can see i clearly have issues lol.

Can anyone advise me please? I'm getting to the point where i need to take further steps. x

Default Re: breastfeeding and antidepressants

Hi mama, so sorry you're dealing with this! I don't have any personal history of depression, but it does run in my family, so I am familiar with it's effects. Kudos to you for taking steps to deal with it, rather than let it run your (and your family's) life!

Here's a great kellymom article about the different types of antidepressants and nursing. Depending on the type of medication, it need not be the end of nursing for you and your little one! http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...nts-hale10-02/ You can also contact infantrisk with the specific med you need to take, and they can give you more info.

Hopefully someone can share some personal experience in terms of nursing and antidepressants!

Hi mama, I think the best thing you can do is talk to someone who knows about medications and breastfeeding. Check out www.infantrisk.com or www.motherisk.org. Mama consuming a little bit of caffeine or sugar is not harmful to baby. There are anti-depressants that are safe with breastfeeding, again contacting one of the resources listed can help you figure out which one would be best for a breastfeeding mother. And absolutely find a qualified person for help with depression. It is really important to get treatment, whether medications or other types of treatment (cognitive behavior therapy, etc) for you, your family, and your baby. Hang in there!

Plenty of moms take antidepressants and continue to nurse. The resources linked by the PPs are excellent ones.

I think moms tend to drive themselves crazy with worries over sugar and alcohol and caffeine and whatever. But the truth is that most of us consume some or all of those substances in moderation, and our kids turn out just fine. I think about my grandparents and the things they exposed their kids to- not just sugar and caffeine and booze, but DDT, mercury (go play with the broken thermometer, kids!), secondhand smoke, lead paint, etc. And yet they turned out fine, too! There's a lot of fear-mongering and guilt-mongering out there, and someone will always be more than happy to tell you that your small pleasure is going to ruin your child. But you don't have to believe them. Nor do you have to feel that formula is superior to your milk. If you were addicted to heroin or cocaine or crystal meth, that might be the case. But not sugar and coffee. Okay?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i have been taking anti-depressants for years and talked to my doctor (who is highly recommended at one of the top hospitals in the country for whatever that's worth) about safety of breastfeeding. he said that so far all of the studies show that such a small amount comes out in your milk that it doesn't have an effect on the baby. i'm still taking my medication and breastfeeding and my baby is alert and happy and doesn't seem to have any ill effects.

the ladies above provided some great links and advice! obviously talk to your doctor about it and i'm not an expert, but just wanted to share that i'm a BFing mom on anti-depressants. i eat super healthy and am careful about everything my baby touches. in the end, the benefits of BFing seemed to outweigh possible risks. i was worried too and was assured that it's ok and it has been so far

I'd had pretty severe depression in the past (including ECT a decade ago) and my psychiatrist was pretty clear that I was high risk for PPD if I went off my medication when pregnant. So, I took an SSRI during pregnancy and have continued to do so while BFing, and my baby has been doing great. I knew that there was some risk of withdrawal in the baby, but it was not as issue for her. She is the most cheerful baby you can imagine, alert, meeting her milestones, generally doing well. I think the benefits of breastmilk outweigh the unknowns about exposure, at least for me. If there were serious problems with babies getting tiny amounts of SSRIs in milk, I think they would've been shown by now, so what's left is concerns about vague, hard-to-measure stuff.

I'm glad you're making this first step towards getting help. I struggled with depression in high school and ppd after ds. I switched antidepressants three different times while nursing until I found the right one for me. Ds never had any side effects from them. I know he benefited from my improved mood! Also, counseling is really helpful. A call to my insurance company got me a list of therapists that specialized in ppd. I was lucky to find one who had been a nursing mother herself and she only billed insurance, never charging my co-pay. Exercise, sunshine, and a healthy diet can really improve my mentality as well.
    The benefits of breastfeeding over formula far outweigh the possible harm any minuscule amount of caffeine etc. that may pass through to your milk. I've worked in a food processing plant. There are quality guidelines in place but for most workers, it's just a job and corners get cut. If you have anxiety over what's in YOUR milk, I don't see why you'd trust some random wahoo to produce an inferior food for your baby if you are capable of making enough for baby. At this point you control what you eat and therefore what's passed along. How is a product that's been recalled for containing beetle larvae better? Caffeine and alcohol are easy enough to avoid or consume in moderation. Many formulas contain corn syrup as a main ingredient. And your child is some how, someway going to consume sugar in his lifetime even if you completely restrict it at home. Food sensitivities exist. Dh and ds were unable to handle dairy until toddlers but its rarer than most people believe. The long lists of foods bf ing mothers need to avoid (broccoli, spices, garlic, etc) are basically old wives tales.