Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing to sleep. Advice on helping her go to sleep without?

Default Nursing to sleep. Advice on helping her go to sleep without?

Hi!

I am very happy with the rhythm that my daughter (6 months) and I have. The reason I am posting this question/concern is that she will be having surgery in the next month and a half or so - and we will not be able to continue our habits.

We have been EBF since she came home from the hospital the first time around. It's been going really well for the most part. The only times she nurses now is when she goes to sleep (nap time, bed time) and upon waking. She is eating more than enough. Gaining weight - poo poo diapers etc.

Here's the "concern". If she isn't nursed to sleep she will cry and cry and cry until she goes to sleep. She has always been like that and then we finally figured out a way to have her go to sleep peacefully - for both of us. This requires nursing.

Unfortunately I will not be able to be with her at the hospital 24/7 and when I am not with her the nurses will have to nap her - sleep her.

Any advice on how teach her to sleep without nursing and crying? Before the nursing solution - we rocked her until she cried and cried and cried and then passed out. It seems that these days I (mommy) am the only one who can sleep her peacefully. I just think I would like to find a way to help her to sleep without me so her stay at the hospital will be more pleasant.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

G

Default Re: Nursing to sleep. Advice on helping her go to sleep with

I'm sorry your baby has to have surgery! That must be really scary.

A lot of times we have moms asking variations on your question- basically, "I have an upcoming event that will require me to be separated from my baby at naptime/bedtime/overnight, so how can I teach her to not need me on that far-off date?" My response is always that a mom shouldn't borrow trouble from the future. If nursing baby to bed works right now, keep on doing it. Don't make the baby miserable, and don't make yourself miserable, by refusing her now because you're afraid of what MIGHT happen weeks or months down the line.

When your baby is in the hospital, she will have to get to sleep with the nurses. That's okay. They're used to babies who are hurt, sick, sad, missing their moms, and completely off their normal rhythms... It's part of the job. You're not letting the nurses down by nursing your baby down for nap/bedtime. And when the baby is with the nurses, she's not going to expect to breastfeed- she knows that YOU are the only one with that particular superpower.

Why can't you stay with baby 24/7?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think mommal is right. Your baby won't expect to nurse when you're not there. I always nursed my baby to sleep for naps and at bedtime and when she started daycare at 5 months old, I was sure they would never be able to get her to take a nap, ever. But she has generally napped easily there since day 1. Part of me still doesn't believe it, to be honest. Because when we're home, she still always nurses to sleep if I'm there, and she won't have it any other way. She will also go to sleep without nursing at home with dad or grandma. Will you be able to leave bottles of breast milk for her to have while you're not there? I will say that while my baby has never expected to nurse while I'm not there, she does like to have a bottle before a nap and especially before bedtime on the few occasions where I haven't been there for bedtime. Not as much of a requirement now that she's older, but when she was 6 months, for sure.

I definitely wouldn't worry about this. You can nurse your baby to sleep whenever you're together--there is nothing wrong with doing this and you're in no way damaging her ability to go to sleep in the future when you have to be apart.

I'm also curious about why you can't be there with her 24/7 in the hospital. And I'm sorry you have to go through this. My baby was hospitalized when she was a newborn and it was not easy. Nursing her in the hospital was VERY healing for me, and I think also for her. So I hope you can do as much of it as possible!

Hi!

Thank you so much for both of your responses. Ya - you guys are right. And I will take your guidance as my own.

I would like to stay with her 24/7 and last time I was not able to because of the cardiac ward preferences. They really do not encourage mother's staying there overnight. It's simply because if every baby's mom could stay there over night there would be no room for any one to get any work done. It's a busy place. I can understand and be compassionate about this. This won't stop me asking if I can stay with her though :-). The answer to a question you never ask is always going to be no...lol.

I will be be bringing stored breast milk for her and pumping while I am there. The "good" news is that I have been through this with her already (when she was first born) and am somewhat familiar with how things operate. So I kind of know what to expect. I say "kind of" because you really never know.

Sproket - I am happy to hear that you understand...it's nice to know that I am not the only who has been there. It was the toughest month of my life. Toughest and most rewarding.

You guys are amazing.

Thank you!

I'm so sorry your babe has to be hospitalized. I hope they're willing to let you stay! My son has had 4 long hospitalizations and my husband and I were able to trade off so that one of us was with him each night, even in the ICU. You might try mentioning how helpful you will be to the nurses because you can provide care for your baby (diaper changes, soothing, etc). Our nurses have always been thankful to have a parent there for that reason alone.
    Not to mention, of course, how comforting it will be to your baby to have you there.
    Best wishes to you both!