Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Struggling today with my re-lactation journey...Please help

Default Struggling today with my re-lactation journey...Please help

So I bf m baby from birth until 4 1/2 wks old. I also have a 22 mo. old daughter whom I was unable to bf. Well this time around I was determined to bf he was born and nursed perfectly...but I was feeling overwhelmed with my daughter wanting attention and my son nursing constantly and then I was afraid I was getting PPD and then we got thrush. So I decided I would just nurse like in the mornings and nights and I would give formula bottles during the day. I did NOT pump when he had bottles and I just told myself that my supply would either regulate to those morning and night feedings or it was would dry up and I would be okay with that. Well 2 1/2 weeks later I had to go back to work and I decided I was not ready to give up bf at all. I was an emotional wreck about it and couldnt believe I had just given up a good milk supply with a baby who was a good nurser. I still cant get over that...anyways at this point my supply was so low and he was only nursing for a few minutes a few times a day. He was prefering the bottle at this point as well and would only nurse through my letdowns. I began to pump at work.

The first day at work I pumped 2 times and was able to bring home 1 oz that day. I was still putting him to the breast and he would nurse through my letdowns and then stop when the flow slowed. He would then get a bottle. Well Here we are 7wks later and my son is 14wks old and we have come along way I am pumping 3x at work and I bring home between 6-9 oz a day just from work. He goes to daycare and has formula there but he only drinks 3-5 oz a day there. He comes home and eats( bf and bottle feeds) all night until about 11 and then wakes once in the middle of the night to eat. He eating about 20-24 oz a day and is getting the majority of it at home when I get off of work. He was doing so good with Bf I mean I thought we were almost done with bottles. But this last week he all of the sudden has not wanted to nurse. The last 2 days he has done some better but it really hurt me that he has been fighting the breast so much again. I am pretty sure he is teething and I feel like this might be the problem but I just really want him to go back to nursing more. Anwways at this point I feel like my supply should be more and I am just feeling quite discouraged today. I want more than anything to bf my baby using no bottles when I am home. I keep praying that my supply will come back in full and that my baby will begin to love nursing. I wish so badly I had not given up like I did but my mind and body needed a break at the time. I have also been using the sns but he doesnt like it very much...even this wk when he has refused to nurse the sns was no help.

I have just started taking Domperisone now for 2 wks and I guess I started off with a very small dose so I am finally upping it to 90 mg a day. I have not been pumping as much as I need to as well but I find once I am home it is very difficult to get the sessions in. I know I need to try harder but I am feeling really down about it all. I really thought that at this point I would be back to exclusively breastfeeing and I am dissapointed that I am not. I am worried that at 14wks pp I wont be able to get my supply up more than what it is now and that my son will not want to breastfeed anymore. My heart wants this more than anything. I do not want to give up but sometimes I feel like it...

I am just looking for any advice, help anything. There is not a local LC around for me to just call up and caht to the one I did talk to was almost 2 hrs away and not supportive about this at all. So I cant rely on them.

Default Re: Struggling today with my re-lactation journey...Please h

Mama, I think the thing to do right now is to focus on how far you have come. You went from nearly losing your breastfeeding relationship with your baby to nursing him frequently and producing quite a lot of milk! Don't beat yourself up over what might have been- you didn't reduce the amount you were nursing because you wanted to get more "me time" in. You did it because you were overwhelmed and trying to do your best by both your babies!

I hate to say it, but at this point I think the pump is your best bet at ditching the bottles. If baby is unwilling to do the whole job by himself... That's where the pump comes in.

You have come a long, long way, mama! Don't get discouraged. Even if you don't progress any further than you have this far, you have still done something amazing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you. I needed to hear that. He is almost on all bm. Today the only formula he had was at daycare. The rest was either him bf or my pumped milk. It is such a good feeling.

At this point can I consider this as successful re-lactation? I still cant believe that I am on this journey and doing pretty well.

ok so do you have any tips for me as far as pumping? So that I can try to Dutch the bottles? I am power pumping now. I thought about doing a power pumping boot camp this weekend but not really sure exactly what to do....

I think you should feel free to define your own success. For some moms, success means that their babies get nothing but breastmilk. For others, breastfeeding success is producing enough milk to cover the bottom of a bottle. Or breastfeeding once a day. It sounds like you are extremely close to getting to a 100% breastfed baby, so I would call that a huge success! You could still take it farther, but whether or not you do is up to you.

Ditching the bottles... I am thinking that you probably could and maybe should, since your baby's fussiness at the breast could be an indication that he is coming to prefer eating from a bottle to the more complicated task of eating from mom. I think the weekend presents a terrific opportunity for you to just nurse, nurse, nurse, switching sides every time your baby gets fussy. If you decide you need to give a bottle, get out the pump and make up for that missed stimulation, and then nurse after the bottle to make sure baby gets the idea that the breast is the place where he feels most comforted, relaxed, and satisfied. Meanwhile, watch the baby's diaper output. If that stays normal, he's getting enough even if he's acting very fussy and unsatisfied. Remember that you're looking for a sufficient number of wets in a 24-hour period, so if baby stays dry for a few hours that's not a big deal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal - don't beat yourself up about what you can't change, and allow yourself to feel good about what you have accomplished. Relactation is not easy, and you really deserve credit.

Like you, I found the sns to be more trouble than it was worth - for others it is a godsend. You have to go with what works for you.

I don't have anything more useful in terms of advice, mommal has you covered there. Just encouragement to stick with it.