Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is relactation possible after taking Liserdo to stop milk?

Default Is relactation possible after taking Liserdo to stop milk?

(This is my first post here)

For a whole lost of VERY complicated events/reasons, which would distract from my actual question here, I was faced with stopping painful pumping breast milk for my then 6 week old.

My question now relates to the possibility to relactate (in my case this means to start pumping again) after taking the medication Liserdol, which was to stop my milk production.

It has been ~3 weeks since I stopped pumping and I took the Liserdol for 2 weeks- ended two days ago. It appears to have stopped milk production: now I experience no swollen breasts and the occasional drip from the nipples.

I ask, is relactation after this medication really possible- or any advice from those who have done this- and if so how many days should one wait after taking the medication to start this and/or give baby the expressed milk if the supply returns?

thank you in advance
    Madisonbear

Default Re: Is relactation possible after taking Liserdo to stop mil

I am not familiar with this medication, but I do know it is possible to induce lactation even if you have no milk supply at all, so possible, absolutely yes. I doubt it makes more fundamental changes in your physiology than someone who is not lactating at all.That doesn't necessarily mean it's easy though.

Hopefully someone will post with more specific knowledge to help you.

Relactation should be possible at pretty much any point. The sooner you start pumping, the sooner your Prolactin (the milk-making hormone) levels should rebound and the sooner your milk should return. But do not expect an immediate result. You may need to pump for as much as several weeks before seeing a return to anything close to your previous supply.

Regarding the safety of your expressed milk, I assume that the medication has left your system by now and that your milk is probably free of it. But if you have any questions about the medication lingering in your milk, I suggest contacting Infant Risk: http://www.infantrisk.com/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you very much Manitobmommy and Mommal for your informative and encouraging replies. Fingers crossed for returning to normal milk production for me!! I will definately follow up on the infantrisk web link too.
    M

Let us know how it goes!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Here are some other resources that might help (again, not specifically about your medication).

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/
    http://kellymom.com/ages/adopt-relac...ion-resources/