Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply?

Default Low supply?

My baby is 3 months and 1 week old. She has been acting strange the last few days, I'm wondering what is going on. Her weight gain has been fine thus far, she's in the 90th percentile. She has been having 6+ wet cloth diapers a day and 3 poop diapers.

She seems to not want to feed during the day (she eats well at night). I've also noticed that my flow seems to be a bit slower. I can feel when milk lets down, and it seems to be taking a little longer than usual. She started biting a bit too, which has never happened before. Usually the flow is very fast, so fast that she likes to eat lying down with me. I wonder if the flow has finally slowed down because my supply has adjusted to her needs...we had oversupply for the first few months.

nothing has changed about my lifestyle or the amount of times we nurse. I'm not engorged or anything like that, my breasts feel pretty much the same as they have in the past month. Wondering what's up with her? She's not sick, not crying at all during the day, just a little fussy at the breast. Like this morning, she went to feed and sucked for a few minutes then pulled off crying for a few seconds, repeat. But that's the end of it, I don't force her to feed and she doesn't continue to cry.

Default Re: Low supply?

We had some fussy nursing times at around that age, too. Nothing was wrong. I think this is pretty normal for 3 months old. They are starting to come out of their shell and express some feelings that they couldn't before! It is also pretty normal for the sensations associated with breastfeeding to change around that age, as you mentioned, as your supply regulates and matches what she needs. As long as her diaper output is good, I would not worry. If you have a good supply to start with and you are nursing exclusively and on demand and outputs are good, there is probably nothing to worry about as far as your supply is concerned. Sounds like you're doing great!! Congrats on your little one.

This sounds very normal for 3 months.

One thing that can happen when supply adjusts, going from overabundant to just right, is that babies start to fuss at the breast. The baby got used to letdowns happening almost immediately, requiring little work on the baby's part. All of a sudden, it takes longer to get a letdown, and baby gets impatient. It's like she has to learn to nurse all over again... And that makes her mad! Best thing you can do is ower through it and let the baby learn how to become a better, more efficient nurser.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had some minor OALD around this time that caused DD to be fussy at the breast, but she was just fussy in general from 2-5 months and then started to become a much happier baby around 6mo (still a little fussy princess nowadays and she is 10mo old hehe)

There are a lot of these posts. I think that what you are describing is totally normal. I had to lie down to nurse her in a completely dark room for a couple months and NIP was a total no-go for a little bit as well.

Your baby will grow out of it and soon be constantly attached to the breast (my LO will crawl over and pounce on me if i sit down or lay down near her... hehe, I can imagine her thinking "OMG BOOBY TIME")
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

Thank you so much for the comments! I really appreciate it. She was really into nursing today, eating a ton (vs the past two days of not much at all except at night), so I'm sure you are all correct. I always nurse on demand, usually we do about 8-9 feeds a day.

I'm still really new to the breastfeeding, since it's so different from my last experience. My little one is exclusively BF and she does have good diaper output, always has...so I'm sure it is a phase. I was just thinking and imagining what it will be like to nurse a baby who can talk and walk and say "Mama", etc.

And we have been doing the side lying in a dark room for about a month, she will occasionally take a sip if we're out and about but it's rare, so we can't really go out for very long. I'm ok with that though, again hopefully it will pass as she grows into herself.