Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreased # of wet diapers, won't take bottle/cup

Default Decreased # of wet diapers, won't take bottle/cup

My 10 month old daughter will not take a cup or bottle. I was in hospital for 10 hours on Sunday and left her home with my husband... she would not drink or hardly eat. I am going for surgery tomorrow and not sure what will happen with her. She is having less wet diapers than she normally does. My husband and I are BOTH on bed rest as I have an infection in my gall bladder and possibly liver, and he has a bad infection in his foot. There's nobody to come help at such short notice but he's going to do his best to take care of her while I am gone. I am still so worried about her though. I have been trying to get her to drink from her cup/bottle yesterday and today to no avail. I don't know how she will get fluids and nutrients while I am gone. I could be gone for as little as 3 hours or as long as a day. Then I have another surgery coming up in a few weeks for which I will be gone for a minimum of 24 hours or as long as 4 days. I am so worried. Please advise.

Default Re: Decreased # of wet diapers, won't take bottle/cup

I'm so sorry we missed this post last week! How are you and your husband feeling? It sounds like an incredibly stressful situation for all of you.

There's a whole page on Kellymom with ideas for alternative feeding methods. It talks about bottles and cups, but also finger-feeding and supplemental nursing systems. Most of the ideas are for younger babies, but there may be something there that you could adapt for your daughter. One idea for older babies is breastmilk popsicles. Maybe a combination of different methods could help get more milk into her.

How is your daughter doing with cups or bottles now? Has there been any progress?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--